At oDesk headquarters in Menlo Park, California, every Tuesday is a WFHT. This Tuesday, we want to acknowledge a few special moments in every freelancer’s life. Those moments where you realize that your friends — and maybe even your family — have no idea that working from home really is working.
For every time you’ve wanted to cringe (or scream), we offer you the following …
7 SIGNS YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY
NEED TO BE REMINDED THAT
WORKING FROM HOME REALLY IS WORKING:
7. Your roomate is off work for the week and has invited half his old fraternity to the house to hang out with him. All day. And all night.
6. Your reading club is baffled and offended that you — someone who is home all day! — can never seem to finish the books.
5. The head of the Parent Teacher Association just called to find out why you’ve never volunteered to be your child’s room mom. Isn’t it about time?
4. Your younger brother paid you a surprise visit last month and is still pouting because you couldn’t take a few days off to just “hang.” I mean, you are your own boss, right?
3. Winter break is just around the corner, and two other families from school just called to find out if they can pencil you in to watch their kids. Because they have to “work” that week.
2. Your neighbor just asked if you could start checking in on her new puppy every day. You know … ’cause you’re home anyway, right?
AND THE NUMBER ONE SIGN IT’S TIME TO DO SOME REMINDING?
1. Your spouse walked in the door last night, looked at the dirty kitchen and asked you — in a surprisingly pointed tone — what exactly you’ve been doing all day.
Much like a divorced marriage counselor, my ability to dish out advice is not an indicator of my ability to implement it. However, having worked from home for over a decade, I’ve learned what works and what just creates more work.