A logo does more than represent your business; it’s a symbol that has the potential to make a strong impression. At the same time, it needs to be simple and easy to understand, culturally appropriate, and flexible enough to use as a sign or the profile image for your Instagram account.
“Logos: Tips on Selecting the Best Branding for Your Business,” an article in Upwork’s Hiring Headquarters, explains some of the key things you should consider before creating, or refreshing, your business logo.
Graphic designer Inamul Karim says this isn’t a time to look for shortcuts: “Companies with strong brands and logos like Apple and IBM had focused on this way back in the ’90s, and look at them now!”
Before you get too deep into the design process, however, designer Milos Dabic suggests you ask yourself these 10 Essential Questions for Successful Logo Design:
- How do you describe your company’s services and/or products?
- Which logos do you like?
- What do you want your new logo to accomplish?
- Who are your main competitors?
- What’s the main age range of your target customer base?
- Do you have any color preferences or existing brand colors?
- Do you have any fonts the designer should consider?
- Do you have a slogan, tagline, or motto? Does it need to be incorporated in the logo?
- Which brands inspire you?
- What’s a reasonable time frame to create the best logo?
Being prepared with this information will make it easier for a designer to create a logo that fits your needs and preferences.
Learn more about design in the Hiring Headquarters, a resource for entrepreneurs, executives, and freelancers to learn more about the tools, tactics, and technology that power businesses today.