• At least 2 years experience as a Character Animator
• Provide both demo reel AND native files that show efficient and expressive character animation
• Solid understanding of traditional animation skills along with the ability to incorporate those skills into a preexisting rig
• Well-versed in all aspects of the animation pipeline and possesses a strong grasp of real world acting, file organization, and cinematic storytelling.
• Strong organizational skills
• Follow supplied file naming and organization conventions
• Respond fully and promptly within a small team to email requests and changes
• Positive, team-oriented attitude
• Following animatic timing to create fully expressive character animation that adheres to rough project & character personality, but also with your own creative flair
• We may request that you animate a small sample.
• Fluent English speakers only. Time zone is Central Time (Wisconsin)
• Animate characters & camera in AE or Blender. Other programs acceptable if you can match the clean, cell-shaded style. Adobe Illustrator and Blender base files available.
Looking for a skilled and experienced character animator for a small, ongoing cartoon series. This project currently has only 2 part-time animators working on it, but we need to ramp-up production considerably over the next 6 months. Pay is $20 to $40 per hour, depending on skill level, speed, and appropriateness of samples supplied.
We are looking for essentially 2 primary skills:
1) Animation. An ability to mimic both fun/cartoony and naturalistic-seeming motion with simplified, jointed characters - with facial expressions - in either After Effects or Blender.
2) Communication & Openness. Prompt response to emails is critical, even if it's to say "I'll be able to get back to you at (specific time)", and then responding at the promised time. This is a talent we will need you to exercise continually. You will need to be experienced at incorporating changes via emails that bullet-point specific requests. You'd be surprised how often this is lacking! Ask questions! Your ability to ask questions is my best indication that you have your own creative POV. Your comfort inserting your creative ideas and direction is the indication of your professionalism I am looking for.
Project: All art is flat/cell shaded. Segments/characters that are animated in Blender are fully 3d meshes, and segments/characters animated After Effects are built in Adobe Illustrator, with simple segment parenting in AE. Some may be rigged using the Duik Bassel AE plugin. Most backgrounds are 2D.
The content of the project is aimed at children under 10, with unique, copyrighted characters and story lines.
This is a FUN project. Expressiveness & gentle physical humor and exaggeration are essential.
While essentially we are looking for skilled animators, if you have well-rounded experience in all aspects of the character animation pipeline that's be a plus. Input and ideas at all stages - script, storyboard, animatic, SFX, animation, pacing & timing, VO - will make you an essential team member as this project grows.
Skills: Will need you to lovingly manage every aspect of your character animation. That means from acting your scene out physically with video, to managing project files and naming conventions. As an animator, you don’t just copy what's in the animatic, you don't just sit down and animate what pops into your head, and you don’t create sloppy files that are opaque to other animators. You plan and build your work with consideration and care.
- Less than 30 hrs/weekHourly
- 1-3 monthsDuration
- IntermediateExperience Level
- Remote Job
- Ongoing projectProject Type
- Contract-to-hireThis job has the potential to turn into a full time role
Skills and Expertise
Activity on this job
- 20 to 50Proposals
This range includes relevant proposals, but does not include proposals that are withdrawn, declined, or archived. Please note that all proposals are accessible to clients on their applicants page.20 to 50
- 16 days agoLast viewed by client
This is when the client last reviewed or interacted with the applicants for this job.16 days ago
- 32Invites sent32
- 5Unanswered invites5
About the clientMember since Sep 1, 2021
- United States Cross Plains 5:24 pm
2 jobs posted
100% hire rate, 1 open job
total spent 8 hires, 3 active
avg hourly rate paid
- Member since Sep 1, 2021
Explore similar jobs on Upwork
How it works
Highlight your skills and experience, show your portfolio, and set your ideal pay rate.
Apply for jobs, create easy-to-by projects, or access exclusive opportunities that come to you.
From contract to payment, we help you work safely and get paid securely.
Find the best freelance jobs
Growing your career is as easy as creating a free profile and finding work like this that fits your skills.