Find the best Social Media Marketing jobs
It takes just one job to develop a successful relationship that can propel your career forward.Find Work Want to hire a Social Media Marketers?
Professionals on Upwork rate clients
on average from 2M+ reviews
Check out a sample of the 10,220 Social Media Marketers jobs posted on Upwork
Less than 30 hrs/week
Less than 1 month
We run a specialized marketing agency helping roofing contractors get more leads, appointments and clients with Facebook ads. While mos…
I want tiktok ad account that has been spent at least $10 in it
We run a marketing agency and we need a full-time employee. Project overview: We're looking for an experienced Social Media Content Cr…
We need help spreading the word about our Kickstarter Campaign to rebuild our scientific website. On top of this contract, help us ac…
Less than 30 hrs/week
3 to 6 months
We're looking Friendly and Kind Social Media Manager who wants work with us on a long-term basis. Your performance determines how long…
Looking for someone to add 100-250 non drop followers a day for 30 days to instagram profile. Happy to extend contract monthly if it wo…
Less than 30 hrs/week
1 to 3 months
enhance and manage our existing online presence and increase our digital marketing footprint. Work with current marketing manager who i…
Are you a seasoned professional with a knack for attracting potential clients? Are you experienced in the world of 3D graphics, games,…
Take the genetic Scientific Body Type Quiz, make a short video about your Quiz results. Body Type Science FAQ: https://www.fellowone.c…
Hi! Looking for help creating editable social media templates for our rental shop. We are looking for something that offers a sporty ye…
How to Become a Social Media Marketer
A social media marketing strategy and a robust online presence have become indispensable tools for businesses looking to market products and especially build online communities around their brands. But running successful social media campaigns takes more than just posting the right images and quips every so often.
Building a strong social media presence involves:
- Curating and posting attractive images
- Understanding of social media users and the types of content that resonate with them
- Keeping a finger on the pulse of current news and trends
- Proficiency using data to inform social media marketing campaigns
- Knowledge of search engine optimization (SEO) to ensure users can easily find content
If you are skilled in these areas, becoming an independent social media marketer on Upwork may be an ideal career path option for you!
What does a Social Media Marketer do?
Social media specialists focus on content marketing, or marketing that does not explicitly advertise a brand, but does build awareness and interest in products and services. This involves producing attractive visuals, videos, written copy, and more that fit the promotion goals for various social networks.
Successful social media managers have excellent marketing skills and use this expertise to create, coordinate, schedule posts across social platforms in such a way that all content complements each other and also the brand. Social media accounts should also reflect a deep understanding of the company’s target audiences to be able to tailor content to this group, as well as draw new potential clients.
Social media marketing managers also must use analytics tools to measure the success of marketing efforts on an ongoing basis.
What skills do I need to become a Social Media Marketer?
Social media skills essential for the job include knowledge of:
- Demographics of social media platforms, as well as the best strategies for targeting each via social media posts
- Graphic design fundamentals for improved content creation
- Analytics and SEO tools
- Social media management tools, like Sprout Social and Hootsuite to schedule posts and track social media metrics
- Digital marketing skills and the ability to identify and reach target audiences
- Excellent copywriting and communication skills, both for writing posts and responding to audiences
- Public relations and how to preserve a brand’s good reputation
What are the core Social Media Marketer job responsibilities?
Job descriptions for social media marketing specialists tend to ask for candidates to:
- Craft and post engaging content for social media channels
- Design and produce high-quality media content
- Track news and current trends, and curate content accordingly
- Use SEO research to identity the best hashtags to help audiences find a brand’s content
- Process social media data, including tracking metrics and KPIs
- Develop strategies for driving and increasing online traffic based on market research
- Coordinate cross-promotional campaigns with influencers
- Engage with followers via messages and other responses to social media posts
Should I get a Social Media Marketer degree or certification?
For social media marketers, the most powerful way to showcase skills comes is a portfolio with samples of your social media design work experience. In addition—and especially for entry-level social media marketers—clients will also likely look at demonstrable success with your own social media channels. But as with any industry, having an educational background in marketing, such as through a college degree or even taking marketing courses, can only strengthen your profile.
Job postings for social media marketers often seek individuals with bachelor’s degrees in subject areas like marketing and communications.
Bootcamps like General Assembly and the Digital Marketing Institute also offer social media marketing specializations.
Finally, you can also improve the specific skills that are essential for social media work through online courses in photography, graphic design, video shooting and editing, and even web development.
Jumpstart your freelance Social media marketer career on Upwork and start looking for your first job. Eager to learn more about Social media marketer jobs on Upwork? Check out these additional resources:
Upwork is not affiliated with and does not sponsor or endorse any of the tools or services discussed in this section. These tools and services are provided only as potential options, and each reader and company should take the time needed to adequately analyze and determine the tools or services that would best fit their specific needs and situation.
Your next job starts right here
Set up a free profile to showcase your skills, experience, and desired pay rate to clients. You choose the payment method that's best for you to easily get paid for your work.Find Work
Gives you security and peace of mind