Check out a sample of the 8,690 WordPress jobs posted on Upwork
Less than 30 hrs/week
Less than 1 month
We are seeking an experienced Web Developer with a strong background in sitemap creation and optimization, particularly for large-scale…
Hi, we have an ecommerce website based on WP & Woocommerce. We would like to integrate Ipay88 payment gateway to the site. And to make…
1. Use Elementor+wordpress+woocommercial to re-built our current website 2. The website page design refers to the existing website (onl…
Less than 30 hrs/week
Less than 1 month
Hi I need help with replicating a function which is used in a theme and to replicate that functionality into a plugin so that it can b…
Description: A sophisticated, user-friendly booking software designed for entrepreneurs, cleaning companies and business owners. It fac…
Need someone wordpress expert as well as photo editing expert, I have 4k products needs to list in my website, Developer should need to…
Hi I need help with building a simpel website for freelance bookkeeper. this job will only suit some one who is new to upwork and wa…
We are seeking an experienced LMS developer to join our team. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing a total of 4…
Hours to be determined
1 to 3 months
We are looking for a skilled web designer and developer to create a platform that connects consultants with NGOs in Lebanon. The platfo…
How to Become a Freelance WordPress Developer
WordPress is an open-source content management system (CMS) that is useful for individuals or organizations hoping to quickly set up a website or a blog using a template or a theme. With WordPress powering 39.5% of all websites, freelance WordPress developers are in high demand. If you have the skills and desire to use WordPress to work on website projects, you might have what it takes to become a freelance WordPress developer.
What does a freelance WordPress developer do?
A freelance WordPress developer is a professional who specializes in the creation of websites, blogs, and other online destinations within the WordPress ecosystem. By using the WordPress platform, a freelance WordPress developer can utilize templates and themes, along with other programming languages such as HTML, to build online solutions for clients relatively quickly.
What skills do I need to become a freelance WordPress developer?
Freelance WordPress developers possess a variety of skills enabling them to build and deliver online projects for individuals and organizations. While there is overlap in skills possessed by WordPress developers and developers who are well versed in other programming languages, such as Python, HTML, and Ruby on Rails, specializing in WordPress provides a competitive edge.
As a result, a WordPress developer might not only provide expertise related to templates and themes pertaining to the WordPress platform but may also be able to expand significantly on the limitations of WordPress by incorporating other languages and capabilities.
Common skills a freelance WordPress developer should possess include:
- Knowledge of HTML and CSS. HTML is a markup language used to display content on a webpage. CSS, or Cascading Style Sheets, controls the design elements and web-related elements appearing on the page. Using both HTML and CSS is important to getting the most out of WordPress development.
- Experience in Adobe Photoshop. WordPress developers must also know how to use features associated with Photoshop, such as auto select, trim, and layer. This knowledge allows any WordPress developer worth their salt to maximize elements within WordPress themes.
- An understanding of SEO. Since incorporating search engine optimization into a website to increase traffic is essential, a WordPress developer needs to be able to implement SEO capabilities.
- Online security. It’s important for developers to understand online security and how to set up a website so that cybercriminals and hackers can’t get access to important information. Incorporating off-the-shelf security plugins and knowing how to test for vulnerabilities are key components of a freelance WordPress developer’s skill set.
What are the core freelance WordPress developer job responsibilities?
When working with different clients, freelance WordPress developers will be offered projects of varying objectives. Some clients may want a simple website that is quick to complete with little creativity required. Others may be looking for more complex work.
Although no two projects are the same, there are key responsibilities a freelance WordPress developer will be asked to handle, including:
- Lead back-end and front-end web development projects for the company, including custom theme development and plugins
- Oversee performance tests for websites
- Build and implement new web features on existing WordPress websites
- Collaborate with other team members during the concepting and building phase of websites
- Research and test new WordPress plugins and scripts
- Ensure a high level of security for all websites developed and deployed
- Communicate regularly with the executive creative team and provide updates and progress on all in-process projects
Should I get a degree or certification to be a freelance WordPress developer?
While a two- or four-year degree from an accredited university is not a requirement to becoming a freelance WordPress developer, obtaining a degree in computer science, computer programming, or a related field can help set you apart from other freelancers. Although there are no official WordPress certifications available, you can gain additional training by taking courses related to WordPress development.
Popular WordPress training courses include:
- Becoming a WordPress Developer: Unlocking Power with Code—offered by Udemy
- WordPress (Essential Training, SEO, Workflows, Ecommerce and More)—offered by LinkedIn Learning
Jump-start your freelance WordPress developer career on Upwork and start looking for your first job. Eager to learn more about freelance WordPress developer jobs on Upwork? Check out these additional resources:
Upwork is not affiliated with and does not sponsor or endorse any of the tools or services discussed in this section. These tools and services are provided only as potential options, and each reader and company should take the time needed to adequately analyse and determine the tools or services that would best fit their specific needs and situation.
Your next job starts right here
Set up a free profile to showcase your skills, experience and desired pay rate to clients. You choose the payment method that's best for you to easily get paid for your work.Find work
Gives you security and peace of mind