How to hire 3D modelers
3D models play a critical role in a wide variety of industries, including animation, architecture, engineering, VR development and gaming. If you’re looking to create 3D models for your graphics and simulations, a 3D modeler can help.
So how do you hire 3D modelers? What follows are some tips for finding top 3D modelers on Upwork.
How to shortlist 3D modeling professionals
As you’re browsing available 3D modeling consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the contractors you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. While many industries use similar 3D design tools, there are often industry-specific features, tools, and libraries that a modeler will need to know to serve your needs.
- Workflow. You want a 3D modeler who can slide into your company workflow (e.g., Slack, Trello).
- Feedback Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular 3D modeler.
How to write an effective 3D modeling job post
With a clear picture of your ideal 3D modeler in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective 3D modeling job post should include:
- Scope of work: From character rigs for 3D animation to CAD files for manufacturing, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: Be sure to mention your preferences for specific technologies, industry expertise, or software.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to harness the power of 3D modeling for your business or organization? Log in and post your 3D modeling job on Upwork today.
3D MODELERS FAQ
What is 3D modeling?
3D modeling is the practice of using software to create three-dimensional representations of physical objects. These 3D models can be moved, manipulated, analyzed, and even animated depending on the capabilities of the software used to generate them.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in 3D modeling professionals:
- 3D modeling software such as Autodesk, Maya, and SketchUp
- Industry-specific tools (e.g., CAD tools for engineers)
- 2D/3D drafting, rendering, and modeling
- Graphic design basics (e.g., illustrations, color schemes)*
*Not necessary for architects and engineers
Why do you want to hire 3D modelers?
It’s important to identify your 3D modeling needs. Do you need 3D models for a video game? Blender is pretty popular. Are you more interested in 3D models for manufacturing a hardware product? You’ll probably want a 3D modeler experienced in CAD software such as SolidWorks. The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a 3D modeler?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced 3D modeler may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their 3D modeling services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.