How to hire business analysts
In the modern marketplace, a business’s success depends upon its ability to collect the right information and act upon it. A business analyst can help you identify KPIs, formulate strategies, communicate stakeholder objectives, and otherwise reduce the administrative overhead associated with running a business.
So how do you hire business analysts? What follows are some tips for finding top business analysts on Upwork.
How to shortlist business analysis professionals
As you’re browsing available business analysis consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the contractors you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want a business analyst who understands the language of your business so they can effectively communicate requirements from stakeholders.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., creating presentations with Lucidchart).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular business analyst.
How to write an effective business analyst job post
With a clear picture of your ideal business analyst in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective business analyst job post should include:
- Scope of work: From requirements gathering to stakeholder management, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain presentation tools, collaborative software, or data analytics suites, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to use business analysis to set goals and take actionable steps to achieve them? Log in and post your business analyst job on Upwork today.
BUSINESS ANALYSTS FAQ
What is a business analyst?
A business analyst is someone who gathers requirements from management and stakeholders and develops a plan of action on how to meet their goals. They analyze the business to see which resources (such as employees and company assets) are available and which need to be acquired. A big part of the role is serving as an information liaison between different departments of a company.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in business analysis professionals:
- Business analysis (e.g., business process modeling, continuity planning)
- Data analytics
- Strong written and verbal communication
Why hire business analysts?
The trick to finding top business analysts is to identify your needs. Do you need only basic administrative help, or are you also seeking the strong data analytics skills of a business intelligence analyst to assist with data mergers, master reports, and process improvements? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a business analyst?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced business analyst may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their business analysis services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.