How to hire a customer service rep
From customer retention to brand loyalty, there are a lot of KPIs tied to an organization’s ability to offer a smooth customer experience. If you’re looking for a freelancer who can solve problems and answer questions about your products and services, a customer service representative can help.
So how do you hire for customer service? What follows is a crash course on how you can find top customer service reps on Upwork.
What is customer service?
Customer service is the support you offer your customers. From fielding questions a prospective buyer may ask before a purchase, to troubleshooting problems while using a product or service, customer service reps play a critical role in representing your brand.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in a customer service rep:
- Clear communication skills across channels (phone, email, chat, etc.)
- Conflict resolution and mediation
- Product knowledge
Customer service reps do more than answer questions — they serve as the voice of your brand helping customers make the most of your products and services.
How to shortlist customer service reps
As you’re browsing customer service reps, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the freelancers you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Professionalism. Customer service reps are the face of a business, so you’ll want reps who present themselves professionally.
- Communication tools. Depending on your needs, the role may require experience with chat, email, phone, or all three.
- Feedback. Perform a quick background check by screening past client feedback for red flags or satisfied customers.
Why are you hiring a customer service representative?
If you want to find top customer service reps, it’s important to identify your customer service needs. Are you looking for someone who speaks native English, or are you hiring someone fluent in another language to provide local customer service to a branch overseas? Is this a temporary hire to meet the demands of a busy season, or will you be hiring long term? Asking yourself questions like these can help you develop a profile of the customer service representative who’s write for your needs.
How to write an effective customer service job post
Now that you have a clear picture of the type of customer service rep you’re looking for, it’s time to write that job post. Aim to be clear and detailed enough for freelancers to know they are the right fit for the job.
An effective customer service job post should include:
- Scope of work: From answering phone calls and emails to writing FAQs, list all the deliverables you’ll need
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a shorter or larger project.
- Background: Translate your customer service needs into a candidate profile. If you prefer experience working in a specific industry, be sure to mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to streamline your customer experience by providing support for your products and services? Log in and post your customer service job on Upwork today.