What is a data analyst?
Data analytics specialists are adept at processing raw data and gleaning insights that can be used to make better business decisions. Professionals in this area may use a variety of tools, including Microsoft Access, business intelligence dashboards and Google Analytics.
How do you hire a data analyst?
You can source data analyst talent on Upwork by following these three steps:
- Write a project description. You’ll want to determine your scope of work and the skills and requirements you are looking for in a data analyst.
- Post it on Upwork. Once you’ve written a project description, post it to Upwork. Simply follow the prompts to help you input the information you collected to scope out your project.
- Shortlist and interview data analysts. Once the proposals start coming in, create a shortlist of the professionals you want to interview.
Of these three steps, your project description is where you will determine your scope of work and the specific type of data analyst you need to complete your project.
How much does it cost to hire a data analyst?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced data analyst may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their data analyst services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How do you write a data analyst job post?
Your job post is your chance to describe your project scope, budget, and talent needs. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
Job post title
Create a simple title that describes exactly what you’re looking for. The idea is to target the keywords that your ideal candidate is likely to type into a job search bar to find your project. Here are some sample data analyst job post titles:
- Need talented marketing manager with exceptional data analytics capability
- Pro needed to create analytics report in MS Access using Excel data
- Business intelligence software expert needed to analyze survey data
An effective data analyst job post should include:
- Scope of work: From report creation to option recommendations, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, software, or executive consultation, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Data analyst job responsibilities
Here are some examples of data analyst job responsibilities:
- Expand our company’s analytical capabilities and processes
- Automate all standardized reports
- Analyze and interpret trends in financial, sales, and marketing data
Data analyst job requirements and qualifications
Be sure to include any requirements and qualifications you’re looking for in a data analyst. Here are some examples:
- At least 3 years of experience in data analytics and reporting
- Extensive background analyzing various types of data, including sales, financial, and marketing
- Experience using business intelligence software such as Tableau, Zoho Analytics, and Microsoft Power BI
- Track record of delivering complex reports on time