How to hire data entry specialists
In the Information Age, success depends on a business’s ability to use its data. But before businesses can gain actionable insights from their data, someone has to gather, organize, and enter it into a database.
So how do you find a data entry specialist? What follows are some tips for finding top data entry specialists on Upwork.
What does a data entry specialist do?
Data entry specialists manually input data into spreadsheets, tables, and databases. Whether it’s performing research to populate a company spreadsheet with potential sales leads, or transferring information from physical records into a digital database, a data entry expert can help.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in data entry freelancers:
- Attention to detail
Quick, reliable, and detail-oriented data entry consultants help businesses take that first essential step in data processing.
How to shortlist data entry freelancers
As you’re browsing available data entry consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the freelancers you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Software. Do you prefer working with Microsoft Access data tables or Google Sheets? You’ll want a data entry specialist who can slide right into your existing workflow.
- Expertise. You know you need help with data entry, but do you also require basic data science skills (e.g. data mining) to complete the project?
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular data entry specialist.
Why do you want to hire data entry specialists?
The trick to finding top data entry specialists is to identify your needs. Is this a simple project to perform web research and enter data into a spreadsheet? Or will they be given remote access to scanned documents that they can read and transcribe into your digital database? The cost of your data entry project will depend largely on your scope of work, and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How to write an effective data entry job post
With a clear picture of your ideal data entry specialist in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Aim to provide enough detail for a freelancer to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective data entry job post should include:
- Scope of work: From keyword research to manual data transcription, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: Translate your data entry needs into a freelancer profile. If you prefer experience working with certain industries, software, or marketing channels, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to accurately capture your data in a digital format that can be leveraged by your business? Log in and post your data entry job on Upwork today.