How to hire data scientists
Knowledge is power, but only if you can extract it from your data. Data scientists help businesses process data and glean insights that can be used to improve their products and services and better reach their target markets.
So how do you find data science consultants? What follows are some tips on how you can find top data scientists on Upwork.
What is data science?
Whether it’s using A/B testing to choose between two designs, measuring the performance of your marketing channels by collecting the right KPIs, or data mining the competition to gain new insights on how you can approach your target market, data scientists get you the intel you need to make informed business decisions.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in data science freelancers:
- Data science and analytics (quantitative analysis, modeling, statistics, etc.)
- Machine learning
- Languages such as R, Python, MatLab, etc.
- Big Data frameworks such as Spark, Hadoop, etc.
- Cloud platforms such as AWS
Data scientists help businesses leverage data to get the answers they need to succeed.
How to shortlist data science freelancers
As you’re browsing available data science consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the freelancers you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want a data scientist who understands your industry, so they can help you identify and answer questions related to your business or organization.
- Organization. Look for experience monitoring and analyzing marketing programs.
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you about the effectiveness of a freelancer’s data science skills.
Why do you want to hire data scientists?
The trick to finding top data scientists is to identify your needs. Do you have a large data set you’d like to run through a recurrent neural network? Or are you looking to enhance your product or service with high throughput data streaming? The cost of your data science project will depend largely on your scope of work, and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How to write an effective data science job post
With a clear picture of your ideal data scientist in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Aim to provide enough detail for a freelancer to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective data science job post should include:
- Scope of work: From setting up an SQL database to data-driven marketing, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a shorter or larger project.
- Background: Translate your data science needs into a candidate profile. If you prefer experience working with certain industries, software, or marketing channels, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to harness the power of data for your business or organization? Log in and post your data science job on Upwork today.