How to hire data visualization specialists
Your computer might prefer data in tabular form, but among people, whether they’re shareholders or customers, charts and infographics are the preferred means of information delivery.
So how do you hire data visualization specialists? What follows are some tips for finding top data visualization specialists on Upwork.
What is data visualization?
Data visualization is a broad term that covers everything from graphing data into charts to creating visually stunning infographics. The goal of data visualization is to make data easier for humans to understand.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in data visualization freelancers:
- Data visualization
- Data science and analytics
- Graphic design (for infographics)
- Data visualization tools such as FusionCharts, Tableau, and Infogram
How to shortlist data visualization freelancers
As you’re browsing available data visualization consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the freelancers you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want a data visualization specialist who understands what industry-relevant insights you’re trying to present from your data.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., charting data with FusionCharts).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular data visualization specialist.
Why do you want to hire data visualization specialists?
The trick to finding top data visualization specialists is to identify your needs. Do you need someone with a data-science-heavy background to help you programmatically display data as a chart in the front end of an app through a RESTful API? Or is your goal more visual-oriented, requiring solid graphic design skills to take findings from data scientists and present them as an infographic? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How to write an effective data visualization job post
With a clear picture of your ideal data visualization specialist in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a freelancer to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective data visualization job post should include:
- Scope of work: From charts to presentations, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries or software, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to create visually stunning charts, reports, and infographics? Log in and post your data visualization job on Upwork today.