How to hire data visualization specialists
Your computer might prefer data in tabular form, but among people, whether they’re shareholders or customers, charts and infographics are the preferred means of information delivery.
So how do you hire data visualization services or specialists? What follows are some tips for finding top data visualization specialists on Upwork.
How to shortlist data visualization professionals
As you’re browsing available data visualization consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the contractors you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want a data visualization specialist who understands what industry-relevant insights you’re trying to present from your data.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., charting data with FusionCharts).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular data visualization specialist.
How to write an effective data visualization job post
With a clear picture of your ideal data visualization specialist in mind, it’s time to write that job post. You’ll want to start with
- A title with any relevant keywords and specifics about the work
- A description of the project
- Project scope, deliverables, and timeline
Next, include the following to help outline your expectations.
- Background information. What is your company or business? What products or services do you provide?
- Business goals and scope of the data. Explain the purpose of the visualization(s) and who/what processes in your organization you hope the visualizations will help support. What does your data look like? From where and how was it gathered?
- Explain how the data will be used. Who will the visualization be designed for, an internal team, customers, or both? What technical or data knowledge do they have, if any? What will they be using it for—sales, awareness, or marketing?
- Include your timeline and deliverables. Be sure to build in time for feedback and rounds of revision. Be specific about what file format you want the visualization delivered in, and any specific branding elements (e.g. logos, color palettes, etc.) you want to be incorporated into the design.
Once you’ve crafted a thorough job post explaining what you want to get from your data, you’ll want to include some insights into who you’re looking for in your data visualization partner.
Ready to create visually stunning charts, reports, and infographics? Log in and post your data visualization job on Upwork today.
Data Visualization FAQs
What is data visualization?
Data visualization is a broad term that covers everything from graphing data into charts to creating visually stunning infographics. The goal of data visualization is to make data easier for people to understand.
A data visualization specialist is a data analyst who is skilled at manipulating data and solving problems by transforming data into interactive, information graphics, called visualizations. Their analyst expertise means they’re able to generate specific metrics, develop complex calculations or simple averages, and find key correlations in data, then bring those to life in visuals. The visualizations can be interactive—using hovers, drop-down menus, or overlays—like a dashboard, giving users the ability to be the driver and explore data to answer immediate questions. Most importantly, they are data artists. They know the most effective method to visually interpret data to demonstrate a point or narrative—something that takes a certain intuition, skill set, and plenty of experience to do well.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in data visualization consultants:
- Data visualization
- Data science and analytics
- Graphic design (for infographics)
- Data visualization tools such as FusionCharts, Tableau, and Infogram
Why hire data visualization specialists?
The trick to finding top data visualization specialists is to identify your needs. Do you need someone with a data-science-heavy background to help you programmatically display data as a chart in the front end of an app through a RESTful API? Or is your goal more visual-oriented, requiring solid graphic design skills to take findings from data scientists and present them as an infographic? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a data visualization specialist?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced data visualization specialist may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their data visualization services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.