How to hire email marketers
Email marketing is more than building subscription lists and sending sales messages. If you’re looking to leverage data analytics to take your email marketing campaigns to the next level, an email marketer can help.
So how do you hire email marketers? What follows is a crash course on how you can find top email marketing talent on Upwork.
What is email marketing?
Email marketing is the art of using email to promote products and services while building customer relationships. A good email marketer can help you not only build a list, but craft an automated email campaign that can convert leads into sales while nurturing long-term relationships with consumers.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in a freelance email marketing consultant:
- Email marketing automation strategy and tools (e.g. Mailchimp)
- Data analytics and tracking
- Email testing (e.g. A/B testing)
- Graphic design
Top email marketers use an automated series of personalized messages to guide leads to the point of sale, while simultaneously building a brand’s long-term relationship with its customers.
How to shortlist email marketing consultants
As you’re browsing available email marketers, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the freelancers you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Communication skills. It takes a strong combination of writing and graphic design to effectively communicate a brand’s message to a lead and convert them into a sale.
- Data-driven personality. The best email marketers know how to track, test, and endlessly refine their automated email campaigns. Screen profiles for a general enthusiasm for data.
- Feedback. Reviews from past clients can give you insight into the effectiveness of a freelancer’s email marketing campaign.
Why do you want to hire email marketing freelancers?
The trick to finding email marketing freelancers is to identify your needs. Are you bringing someone onto an existing email marketing campaign, or will they be starting a new one from scratch? Do they need experience with specific email marketing software such as Constant Contact? Your scope of work will have a direct impact on the cost of your email marketing project.
How to write an effective email marketing job post
Once you have a clear picture of the email marketer you’re looking for, it’s time to write that job post. Provide enough detail for freelancers to know if they’re the right fit for the job.
An effective email marketing job post should include:
- Scope of work: From writing emails to A/B testing different design elements in a message, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a quick project or you’ll need repeat help.
- Background: Translate your email marketing needs into a candidate profile. If you prefer experience working with certain software or marketing channels, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to convert your leads into sales and build long-lasting relationships with your customers? Log in and post your email marketing job on Upwork today.