How to Hire Email Marketers
Email marketing involves using email to promote products and services while building customer relationships. If you’re looking to build a targeted email marketing campaign that gets results, an email marketer can help.
So how do you hire an email marketer? In this post, we’ll walk you through the process of finding top email marketers on Upwork.
Identify your email marketing needs
Email marketing is pretty straightforward, but there are a few things you should be aware of when looking for the right email marketer for your needs. You know you need someone to run an email marketing campaign, but is there a CRM tool you prefer? Mailchimp, Zoho, and Infusionsoft are just some of the leading tools on the market. You want an email marketer who can slide right into your existing workflow. You could also consider email marketing services that match you with proven talent. Have you identified your goals for the campaign? You may want to consider lead generation services to complement your email marketing.
How to write an effective email marketing job post
With your email marketing needs in mind, it’s time to write that job description. Put yourself in the shoes of a freelance email marketer and try to imagine what they’ll type into the search box on Upwork to find your job.
Every job post should include:
- Project scope: Be specific about the types of tasks and deliverables (e.g. email templates for the launch of a new product).
- Background: List specific skills and requirements (e.g. experience with Maropost).
- Timeline: When do you need an email marketer, and for how long will you need them?
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Although you don’t need a full job description as you would with employment, you still want to be specific and detailed enough in your job post so that a prospective freelancer knows what your project entails.
Shortlist potential email marketing experts
With your project posted and a growing inbox full of proposals, here are some tips for shortlisting talented email marketing freelancers:
- Industry fit. An email marketing campaign has to speak to your target audience.
- Professionalism. The email marketer will be representing your brand in your customers’ inboxes.
- Feedback. Reviews can reveal any red flags about working with a particular email marketer.
Prepare for the interview
Once you’ve narrowed your list of candidates, you’re ready to conduct the interview which will lead you to your ideal email marketer. Here are some sample email marketer interview questions:
- “How do you measure the success of an email marketing campaign?” What you’re looking for is a clear process for setting a goal, selecting a tool, measuring the right KPIs, and tweaking campaigns based on the results.
- “Give us an example of a successful email campaign you’ve worked on” This question gives the candidate the opportunity to showcase their work. If they’re prepared they will have an example on hand to demonstrate their skills.
- “How familiar are you with [insert technology here]?” As we’ve reiterated time and time again, familiarity with the CRM tool you’re already using can make the transition smoother.
If you’re still not sure at the end of the interview process which candidate is right for you, feel free to use a small paid test project to try out a freelancer. Ready to take your email marketing campaign to the next level? Hire an email marketer on Upwork today!
Email Marketing FAQs
What is an email marketer?
An email marketer is someone who understands how to use email to convert leads into sales. They create messaging tailored to each stage of your sales funnel and use email templates to automate the process of directing a prospect from brand discovery to conversion.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills a freelance email marketer might have:
- Email marketing strategy
- Data analytics, tracking, and reporting
- Email testing (e.g. A/B testing)
- Email marketing automation and CRM tools (e.g. GetResponse, HubSpot)
- Basic email content creation (e.g. copywriting, graphic design)
Email marketers use email to help businesses forge relationships with customers and clients via targeted messages and promotions.
Examples of what an email marketer can do for you
So who can benefit from an email marketer? Anyone who wants to build an email subscription list and maximize its potential to convert leads into sales.
Here are a few examples of projects that an email marketer can complete:
- Build a list of email subscribers and drum up excitement for the launch of a new online fashion label
- Create email copy that targets each stage of the customer journey from discovery to call-to-action for an online retailer
- Create Mailchimp templates to automate an email marketing campaign for a real-estate agency
- A/B test different email promotions to identify improvements for an existing email newsletter
Making marketing spend decisions can be challenging. Upwork's Free Marketing Cost Calculator gives you a fast and easy way to calculate the spend for various marketing channels - Digital, Social and Search Marketing.