How to hire ghostwriters
Don’t like to write? Or perhaps you’re like millions of other business owners, executives, and professionals across the globe who understand the importance of content but lack the time, skills, or resources to write their own content. If this sounds like you, it may be time to hire a ghostwriter.
So how do you hire ghostwriters? What follows are some tips for finding top ghostwriting consultants on Upwork.
How to shortlist ghostwriting professionals
As you’re browsing available ghostwriting consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the contractors you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want a ghostwriter who understands your industry so they can use the appropriate words, phrases, and language needed to reach your target audience.
- Attention to detail. Ability to follow a style guide and/or mimic the voice of your brand is key.
- Feedback Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular ghostwriter.
How to write an effective ghostwriting job post
With a clear picture of your ideal ghostwriter in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective ghostwriting job post should include:
- Scope of work: From blog posts to eBooks, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience working with certain industries, software, or marketing channels, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to save time writing compelling content with the help of a ghostwriter? Log in and post your ghostwriting job on Upwork today.
What is ghostwriting?
Ghostwriters create content that you can claim as your own. Depending on the contract, this typically means a full transfer of copyright ownership to the person or organization commissioning the piece
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in ghostwriting professionals:
- Content writing
- SEO and marketing
- Writing specialty (e.g., copywriting, technical writing, creative writing)
- Industry-specific knowledge
A ghostwriter can help position you as a voice of authority and a thought leader in your target industry.
Why do you want to hire ghostwriters?
The trick to finding top ghostwriters is to identify your needs. Are you looking for someone familiar with the health-and-wellness market to transcribe your notes into a personal blog post? Or are you looking for someone familiar with SaaS and B2B communications to ghostwrite an eBook on your behalf? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a ghostwriter?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced ghostwriter may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their ghostwriting services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.