How to hire graphic designers
Whether you need a new logo, an infographic, or images for your social media and blog content, a graphic designer can help you connect with your target market through stunning visuals.
So how do you hire graphic designers? What follows are some tips on how you can find top graphic design freelancers on Upwork.
What is graphic design?
Graphic design is about communicating through a visual medium. Graphic designers use photography, color, typography, texture, shape, and even empty space to tell stories, invoke emotions, and build a brand identity.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in graphic design consultants:
- Graphic design tools such as Adobe CC (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, etc.)
- Ad design (PPC, Facebook Ads, Google Ads)
- Web/mobile design (logos, layouts, images, banners, and color schemes)
- UI/UX design
- Print media (newspapers, magazines, business cards, brochures, flyers, etc.)
- Strong teamwork and communication skills
A graphic designer helps businesses stand out from the crowd by visually communicating with their target market.
How to shortlist graphic design freelancers
As you’re browsing available graphic design consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the freelancers you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Marketing fit. You want a designer experienced with creating graphics for your active marketing channels—creating an email layout is very different from a magazine cover.
- Portfolio. The best way to gauge the talent of a graphic designer is to look at their portfolio.
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular designer.
Why do you want to hire a graphic design consultant?
The trick to finding top graphic designers is to identify your graphic design needs. Is this a one-time project (e.g. whipping up a company logo) or a larger project (infographics for weekly blog content)? The cost of your graphic design project will depend largely on your scope of work, and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How to write an effective graphic design job post
With a clear picture of your ideal graphic designer in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Aim to provide enough detail for a freelancer to know if they’re the right fit for the job.
An effective graphic design job post should include:
- Scope of work: From images for banner ads to print media for physical flyers, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: Translate your graphic design needs into a candidate profile. If you prefer experience working with certain industries, software, or marketing channels, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to give your business a graphical boost? Log in and post your graphic design job on Upwork today.