How to hire graphic designers
Whether you need a new logo, an infographic, or images for your social media and blog content, a graphic designer can help you connect with your target market through stunning visuals.
So how do you hire freelance graphic designers? What follows are some tips on how you can hire top graphic designers on Upwork.
How to write an effective graphic design job post
With a clear picture of your ideal graphic designer in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective graphic design job post should include:
- Scope of work: From images for banner ads to print media for physical flyers, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Creative brief: Attach a creative brief, technical considerations, and brand guidelines.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer designers with experience working with certain industries, mention that here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly vs. fixed-price contracts.
How to shortlist graphic design professionals
As proposals are submitted, you’ll need to vet the most promising graphic designers to create a shortlist of people you want to interview. Here are some points to look for:
- Experience. Does the graphic designer have experience in your industry? Commonly used software, such as Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator, may also be referenced.
- Feedback. What do previous clients have to say about their past work? Reviewing feedback can give you insight into their ability to communicate, solve problems, and produce a great product.
- Portfolio. Design is a subjective art, but can you understand what they were trying to communicate? Do they know whether they were successful? Each sample should provide a description, which may explain the problem they needed to solve and other project requirements. Look for portfolio examples that are in a similar aesthetic to what you want, or that are otherwise within the style you prefer. Have they created similar visuals in the past?
GRAPHIC DESIGN FAQs
What is graphic design?
Graphic design is about communicating through a visual medium. Graphic designers use photography, color, typography, texture, shape, and even empty space to tell stories, evoke emotions, and build a brand identity. A graphic designer helps businesses stand out from the crowd by visually communicating with their target market.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in graphic designers:
- Graphic design tools such as Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, etc.)
- Ad design (PPC, Facebook Ads, Google Ads)
- Web/mobile design (logos, layouts, images, banners, color schemes)
- UI/UX design
- Print media (newspapers, magazines, business cards, brochures, flyers)
- Strong teamwork and communication skills
How much does it cost to hire a graphic designer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions. Learn about the cost to hire a graphic designer.