What is a machine learning engineer?
A machine learning engineer is a professional who is adept at understanding computational statistics and the predictive qualities of data mining. With this ability, a machine learning engineer is able to facilitate the building of powerful techniques and neural networks that lend themselves to artificial intelligence solutions.
How do you hire a machine learning engineer?
You can source machine learning engineers on Upwork by following these three steps:
- Write a project description. You’ll want to determine your scope of work and the skills and requirements you are looking for in a machine learning engineer.
- Post it on Upwork. Once you’ve written a project description, post it to Upwork. Simply follow the prompts to help you input the information you collected to scope out your project.
- Shortlist and interview machine learning engineers. Once the proposals start coming in, create a shortlist of the professionals you want to interview.
Of these three steps, your project description is where you will determine your scope of work and the specific type of machine learning engineer you need to complete your project.
How much does it cost to hire a machine learning engineer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including engineerise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced machine learning engineer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of engineerise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their machine learning engineer services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How do you write a machine learning engineer job post?
Your job post is your chance to describe your project scope, budget, and talent needs. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
Job post title
Create a simple title that describes exactly what you’re looking for. The idea is to target the keywords that your ideal candidate is likely to type into a job search bar to find your project. Here are some sample machine learning engineer job post titles:
- Data scientist with engineerise in machine learning needed for healthcare project
- Back-end software engineer needed for AI-related software development
- engineer in machine learning and cloud computing wanted for improving mobile app
An effective machine learning engineer job post should include:
- Scope of work: From working with big data to software architecture design, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, software, or technology, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Machine learning engineer job responsibilities
Here are some examples of machine learning engineer job responsibilities:
- Develop and test complex systems
- Translate product requirements into detailed, technical specifications
- Maintain high level of development standards
- Train other engineers and mentor them while building team
Machine learning engineer job requirements and qualifications
Be sure to include any requirements and qualifications you’re looking for in a machine learning engineer. Here are some examples:
- 10 years writing large-scale systems in Java
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science
- An understanding of machine learning, big data, and algorithms