How to hire marketing automation specialists
Marketing automation is about more than just automating repetitive tasks like sending emails and scheduling blog posts. A skilled marketing automation consultant can also use personalized messaging to guide prospects through each level of the conversion funnel.
So how do you hire marketing automation consultants? In this guide, we’ll walk you through the process of finding top marketing automation specialists on Upwork.
How to shortlist marketing automation specialists
As you’re browsing available marketing automation services and consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the contractors you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Technology fit. You want a marketing automation specialist who understands the tools and platforms behind your marketing efforts so they can figure out how to automate them.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., running an email marketing campaign with Mailchimp).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular marketing automation specialist.
Marketing automation interview questions
Once you’ve narrowed your list of candidates, you’re ready to conduct the interview which will lead you to your ideal candidate. Here are some sample marketing automation interview questions:
- “How would you automate our conversion funnel?” A good marketing automation pro will likely already have some ideas on how to improve your funnel.
- “Give us an example of a successful campaign you automated” A prepared candidate will use this as an opportunity to show off a project that demonstrates their strengths.
- “How familiar are you with [insert technology here]?” As we’ve reiterated time and time again, familiarity with the automation tools you’re already using can make the transition smoother.
If you’re still not sure at the end of the interview process which candidate is right for you, feel free to use a small paid test project to try out a freelancer.
How to write an effective marketing automation job post
With a clear picture of your ideal marketing automation specialist in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective marketing automation job post should include:
- Scope of work: From autoresponders to CRM (customer relations management) automation, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, tools, or marketing channels, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to automate your marketing campaign? Log in and post your marketing automation job on Upwork today.
Marketing automation specialist FAQs
What is marketing automation?
Marketing automation is the practice of using software to automate common marketing tasks such as writing personalized emails or pulling data from multiple marketing channels.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in marketing automation consultants:
- Marketing automation, analytics, and strategy
- Email marketing
- Social media
- Marketing automation tools such as HubSpot
- Possibly experienced with lead generation services
Why hire marketing automation specialists?
The trick to finding top marketing automation specialists is to identify your needs. Is your goal to create targeted email templates to use as autoresponders? Do you need help programmatically pulling analytics feeds from multiple social media channels? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a marketing automation specialist?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced marketing automation specialist may command higher fees but also work faster, have more specialized areas of expertise, and deliver a higher-quality product.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their marketing automation services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
What tools should a marketing automation specialist be familiar with?
Here are a few popular platforms: