How to hire marketing strategists
A strategy is a plan of actions you can take to achieve a goal. If you need a freelancer who can help you figure out how to achieve your marketing goals, a marketing strategist can help.
So how do you hire marketing strategists? What follows is a crash course on how you can find top marketing strategists on Upwork.
What is marketing strategy?
Marketing strategy encompasses all the planning that goes into the “how” behind your marketing efforts. From sizing up your business’s marketing assets to setting goal posts for the marketing team to tackle, marketing strategy consultants help businesses form roadmaps for hitting their marketing KPIs.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in marketing strategy freelancers:
- Market strategy techniques such as business model canvases, BCG matrices, brand identity prisms, and scorecards
- Organization skills
- Clear communication
- Market research and analysis
The marketing strategist helps businesses formulate a strategy for achieving their marketing goals.
How to shortlist marketing strategy freelancers
As you’re browsing available marketing strategy consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the freelancers you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want a strategist who understands your industry, so they can help you figure out how best to reach your target market.
- Organization. Experience monitoring and analyzing marketing programs
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you about the effectiveness of a freelancer’s marketing strategies.
Why do you want to hire marketing strategists?
The trick to finding top marketing strategists is to identify your marketing strategy needs. Are you looking for someone with a background in SEO and content marketing? Or do you also need help with more traditional media such as print advertisements and TV? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work, and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How to write an effective marketing strategist job post
With a clear picture of your ideal marketing strategist in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Aim to provide enough detail for a freelancer to know if they’re the right fit for the job.
An effective marketing strategy job post should include:
- Scope of work: From auditing marketing assets to interfacing with other members of the marketing team, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a shorter or larger project.
- Background: Translate your marketing strategy needs into a candidate profile. If you prefer experience working with certain industries, software, or marketing channels, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to create a marketing strategy that will help you maximize the effectiveness of your marketing campaign? Log in and post your marketing strategy job on Upwork today.