How to hire mobile app developers
Building a mobile app is often an ongoing project—one full of frequent updates and new versions to keep up with the ever-changing mobile technology landscape. A successful mobile app takes strategy, marketing savvy, UI/UX experience, and plenty of expertise—all of which culminates in the resume of a top-notch mobile app developer to help you bring it all to life.
So how do you find a mobile app developer? What follows are some tips on how you can find top mobile app developers on Upwork.
How to shortlist mobile app developers
As you’re browsing available mobile app development consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the freelancers you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Mobile ecosystem. You need to decide if you need a specialist for iOS or Android, or a generalist for cross-platform development.
- Testing experience. Nothing hurts your KPIs like a buggy app on launch day. Look for developers who understand the importance of user testing and test-driven development.
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular mobile app developer.
How to write a mobile app development job post
There are numerous phases of building an app during which you’ll want to engage a mobile app developer: design, coding, APIs and other back-end integrations, and testing. Well-rounded mobile developers have experience with both design aspects, like UI and UX design, and actual programming, whether it’s API integrations or coding in a specific cross-platform software.
Establish your project’s requirements in as much detail as possible to help you budget for hiring a mobile app developer, and to help your developer provide more accurate estimates. For example, if you have preferences about platform or programming languages, include those. If you need an app coded in Swift 3, for example, you’ll want an iOS developer that’s versed in the latest iterations of the language. If you’re creating a mobile app with Xamarin or PhoneGap, you’ll need a pro who knows how to get your app successfully compiled into each native environment. You can get more tips and guidance on how to hire a mobile app developer in this article.
Be sure to include other details like:
- The targeted platform you’re developing for—iOS, Android, Windows, hybrid, or cross-platform?
- The scope of the project, which outlines the development and design work to be done
- Any API integrations or other technical specs the developer should know.
- Your target audience(s) for the app.
- Design specifications, including fonts, color pallette, imagery, any logos, and other brand guidelines.
- The project timeline, including any milestones.
MOBILE APP DEVELOPERS FAQ
What is a mobile app developer?
A mobile app developer is a programmer who can develop software for mobile devices. Whether it’s for iOS, Android, or other operating systems, mobile app development consultants leverage a diverse toolkit of programming and UI/UX design skills to create mobile apps.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in mobile app development freelancers:
- Cross-platform mobile app development frameworks such as React Native
- UI/UX design fundamentals
- Experience with the Google Play and/or Apple App Store approval process
- Experience with RESTful services, APIs, and third-party library integrations
Why hire mobile app developers?
The trick to finding top mobile app developers is to identify your needs. Are you migrating an existing app to the newest version of iOS? Or do you need help creating an Android app from scratch? Will these apps be incorporating any unique technologies such as VR (virtual reality) that will require additional technical expertise? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a mobile app developer?
When it comes to hiring that mobile developer, how much they charge and your project’s budget are probably primary concerns. Whether you’re working with a native operating system or using cross-platform software, starting from scratch or adding new integrations, you’ll need a mobile pro with the right skill set for your particular project. Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions. Learn about the cost to hire a mobile app developer.