What is a Shopify developer?
A Shopify developer can help budding entrepreneurs establish and grow their Shopify business. An experienced Shopify developer can help clients through the process of establishing an online storefront that includes customizing a Shopify theme, adding product images, tracking user analytics, and managing customer orders.
How do you hire a Shopify developer?
You can source Shopify developer talent on Upwork by following these three steps:
- Write a project description. You’ll want to determine your scope of work and the skills and requirements you are looking for in a Shopify developer.
- Post it on Upwork. Once you’ve written a project description, post it to Upwork. Simply follow the prompts to help you input the information you collected to scope out your project.
- Shortlist and interview Shopify developers. Once the proposals start coming in, create a shortlist of the professionals you want to interview.
Of these three steps, your project description is where you will determine your scope of work and the specific type of Shopify developer you need to complete your project.
How much does it cost to hire a Shopify developer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions. Learn about the cost to hire a Shopify developer.
How do you write a Shopify developer job post?
Your job post is your chance to describe your project scope, budget, and talent needs. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
Job post title
Create a simple title that describes exactly what you’re looking for. The idea is to target the keywords that your ideal candidate is likely to type into a job search bar to find your project. Here are some sample Shopify developer job post titles:
- Can you create a successful Shopify storefront? If so, we want to talk to you
- Need a Shopify developer to configure, launch, and help us manage storefront
- Shopify developer needed to help us create and launch storefront to sell candles and related items
An effective Shopify developer job post should include:
- Scope of work: From store building to tracking sales, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain Shopify themes, customer engagement tools, or e-commerce setups, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Shopify developer job responsibilities
Here are some examples of Shopify developer job responsibilities:
- Create attractive theme and storefront suitable for specific types of products
- Lead Shopify-enabled promotion and marketing initiatives to draw more traffic
- Set up client payment for credit and debit transactions, track sales, and recommend ways to increase sales
Shopify developer job requirements and qualifications
Be sure to include any requirements and qualifications you’re looking for in a Shopify developer. Here are some examples:
- Experience and understanding of how to set up and run a Shopify storefront
- Recommendations around creating product descriptions that will draw more traffic and sales
- Familiarity with analytics showing sales, trends, weaknesses, and opportunities regarding the Shopify store
- Complete job within budget and required timeframe