How to hire video editors
They say a picture is worth a thousand words. A video literally captures motion in thousands of pictures. It’s no wonder why so many businesses wish to include video in their content marketing campaigns. If you’re looking for a video editor who can help you create professional videos for your business, a video editor can help.
So how do you find a video editor? What follows are some tips on finding top video editors on Upwork.
What is video editing?
Video editing is the art of cutting, manipulating, and rearranging video to create a new work. It refers to all the post-production tasks that go into turning raw footage into a compelling video.
Video editors cut excess footage, choose which reels to highlight, touch up audio, and add graphics and effects that go into a final product.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in video editing freelancers:
- Video editing and production
- Video editing tools such as Adobe Premiere Pro
- Photo editing tools such as Photoshop
- Motion graphics software such as After Effects
- Attention to detail
Video editing consultants help businesses turn raw video footage into an engaging story.
How to shortlist video editing freelancers
As you’re browsing available video editing consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the freelancers you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Brand fit. You want a video editor who understands the message you are trying to convey so that they can create a final cut that will resonate with your audience.
- Portfolio. The best way to get a feel for the skill of a video editor is to see their past work.
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular video editor.
Why do you want to hire video editors?
The trick to finding top video editors is to identify your needs. Is your intention to create a promotional video for the launch of a new product? Or are you creating educational materials for an online course? Do you require experience adding motion graphics to your video for a new ad? The cost of your video editing project will depend largely on your scope of work, and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How to write an effective video editing job post
With a clear picture of your ideal video editor in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would with employment, aim to provide enough detail for a freelancer to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective video editing job post should include:
- Scope of work: From video collages to covering an event, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience working with certain industries or media platforms mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to give your video content that professional look and feel? Log in and post your video editing job on Upwork today.