What is web development?
Web development is best divided into two roles: the front-end developer who codes UI elements such as the search bar, drop-down menus, and forms, and the back-end developer who handles the data management and business logic that power the app behind the scenes. While web developers can handle both roles, they usually specialize in either the front end or the back end of a technology stack.
How do you hire a web developer?
You can source web development talent on Upwork by following these three steps:
- Write a project description. You’ll want to determine your scope of work and the skills and requirements you are looking for in a web developer.
- Post it on Upwork. Once you’ve written a project description, post it to Upwork. Simply follow the prompts to help you input the information you collected to scope out your project.
- Shortlist and interview web developers. Once the proposals start coming in, create a shortlist of the professionals you want to interview.
Of these three steps, your project description is where you will determine your scope of work and the specific type of web developer you need to complete your project.
How much does it cost to hire a web developer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions. Learn about the cost to hire web developers or use our website cost calcultor to learn more about the true cost to build a website.
How do you write a web development job post?
Your job post is your chance to describe your project scope, budget, and talent needs. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
Job post title
Create a simple title that describes exactly what you’re looking for. The idea is to target the keywords that your ideal candidate is likely to type into a job search bar to find your project. Here are some sample web development job post titles:
- Web developer needed for a WordPress site
- Need a web developer experienced with MongoDB, Express, Angular, and Node.js (MEAN)
An effective web development job post should include:
- Scope of work: From front-end features to API gateways, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, web technologies, or developer tools, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
- Web developer job responsibilities
Here are some examples of web developer job responsibilities:
- Design and development of web applications
- Work with designers to display web content effectively
- Write scalable, testable, well-documented code
- Handle website maintenance, troubleshooting, and upgrades
Web developer job requirements and qualifications
Be sure to include any requirements and qualifications you’re looking for in a web developer. Here are some examples:
- Back-end frameworks such as Ruby on Rails, Node.js, and/or ASP.NET
- Content management systems (CMS) such as WordPress, Joomla, and Squarespace
- Basic UI/UX design concepts