How to hire WordPress developers
WordPress is best known as a tool for helping nondevelopers quickly set up a personal website or blog. But for those who need a bit more customizability and performance in their websites, a WordPress developer can help.
So how do you find a WordPress developer? What follows are some tips for finding top WordPress developers on Upwork.
How to shortlist WordPress development professionals
As you’re browsing available WordPress development consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the contractors you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Technology fit.You want a WordPress developer who has experience with the specific technologies (e.g., plugins, frameworks, libraries) you plan to use on your website.
- Organization.A well-documented codebase is easier to maintain and upgrade.
- Feedback.Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular WordPress developer.
How to write an effective WordPress development job post
With a clear picture of your ideal WordPress developer in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective WordPress development job post should include:
- Scope of work: From ongoing site maintenance to building a WordPress app from scratch, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background:If you prefer experience working with certain tools, frameworks, and libraries, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Eager to join millions of others and start hosting your website or blog on the most popular CMS on the web? Log in and post your WordPress development job on Upwork today.
WORDPRESS DEVELOPERS FAQ
What is WordPress?
WordPress is an open-source content management system (CMS) that is especially useful for those looking to quickly set up a website or blog with a prebuilt theme. A WordPress developer is simply a web developer who specializes in making the most of this CMS.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in WordPress development professionals:
- Mastery of the WordPress ecosystem (e.g., plugins, themes, widgets)
- Back-end web development, especially PHP and MySQL
- Troubleshooting, debugging, cybersecurity, and maintenance of WordPress sites
WordPress development consultants help businesses take their WordPress sites to the next level of performance.
Why hire WordPress developers?
The trick to finding top WordPress developers is to identify your needs. Do you need help repairing the damage done to your WordPress site by a virus? Or are you looking for someone to integrate a specific web technology, such as React, with WordPress? The cost of your WordPress project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a WordPress developer?
Rates charged by WordPress developers on Upwork vary from $15 to $28 an hour. Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions. Learn about the cost to hire a WordPress developer. Developers don’t always bill hourly; it can be common for a WordPress developer to set a fixed price for your site, based on your project requirements and what level of (or, lack of) customization you need. Looking to set up a Website but not sure how much money it will take? Use Upwork's Free Website Cost Calculator tool to estimate costs associated with setting up a website - Website Design, development, and functionality.