Only freelancers located in the U.S. may apply.U.S. located freelancers only
Hello fellow upworker!
First of all due to the sensitivity of the position only candidates in the USA/Canada who fill in the screening questions will be considered. (typically we hire from anywhere but this is an exception)
After working for us for nearly 3 year our Financial Controller / Bookkeeper has decided to move on to other opportunities.
His old job is being split up into 2 different jobs
1. Freelance Sr Accountant / Financial controller (this job)
2. Jr data entry / bookkeeper (this is a separate much more junior job we also posted on upwork, but you could take a look at it to get a better idea what we're doing here)
The job controller will be responsible for the following:
1. Keeping an eye on the bookkeeper and making sure our spreadsheets are accurate (that the bookkeeper is not forgetting to list orders, listing them in the wrong place in spreadsheet etc)
2. Sending all payments including payroll, royalty holders, credit card transactions or paypal transactions
3. Checking our spreadsheets vs bench.co to see any discrepancies, (of course spreadsheets are mostly accural and bench.co is cash so it will never be exactly the same but we can still look for patterns)
4. Sending us monthly paypal reports.
5. Setting up limited access accounts in paypal, bank of america, for the jr bookkeeper that does not have the ability to send money.
6. Assisting the bookkeeper decide if an order is fraud or not.
More exciting stuff:
7. Help assist us get rid of the spreadsheets altogether by helping us replicate the features of our spreadsheets into something like Xero (royalty calcuation and real time profit forecasting)
8. Serve as a liason between our tax accountant and us, when he has tough questions.
While we have a automated cash in/cash out system on bench.co, we are also still putting all orders on a spreadsheet for the following reason:
1. We need to calculate royalties to different royalty/commission holders.
2. To track revenue and expenses on a mostly accurral basis.
3. To able to place pending payments and easy way to check if they've been paid or not.
While this spreadsheet will eventually be automated system with a custom system in woocommerce, in the mean time we are going to be using the spreadsheet for the indefinite future.
While we may eventually give a junior bookeeper access to send money, for now its too risky which is why we decided to split this position in 2 and have our financial controller be in the states.
Active CPA certification (or associates/bachelors accounting degree is acceptable too. If you don't have either I may still consider if you have 5+ years experience in accounting.)
Located in USA (Canada may be accepted if you are familiar with US accounting)
No criminal record due to the sensitivity of this position (we'll run a criminal background check)
At least 6 months previous experience doing online accounting work.
A project in your portfolio where you automated royalty calcuation <-- Would love to hear about this.
This is ongoing work - Approx 20 hour per month commitment.
ABOUT US: We are a rapidly growing company that sells chess video courses via download and DVD. Check our profile 4.9 feedback, with $70k paid. Beyond the money people simply love working with us.
Best of luck to all applicants.
More than 30 hrs/week
More than 3 months3+ monthsProject LengthDuration
I am willing to pay higher rates for the most experienced freelancers