The purpose of this work is to write a serie of short essays (no more than one page each) about different statements on different aspects of agriculture and farming, each essay should be backed quantitatively and/or qualitatively with relevant internationally recognized sources, sources must be identified and provided with the relevant quotation reference and working link. Sources could be from universities, research centers, international institutions, corporations, etc. Additionally to the backing sources the contractor will look for sources that could contradict or weaken the provided statement.
It is of my special interest relevant information about these specific products: lettuces, leafy greens, herbs, micro greens, baby vegetables, tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, strawberries, watermelons and melons.
In order to have a common understanding of the scope of the project the contractor will perform a first research that once agreed it will be used as baseline for the rest of the statements.
The total work will have around 10–20 statements of this kind:
- Washing fruits and vegetables after harvest reduce the nutrient quality of the produce. (This one will be the first and will be used as baseline)
- Hydroponic agriculture reduces the soil pathogen cause of foodborne illness.
- The delivery (food-miles) of agriculture produce reduces the end-customer perceived quality.
- The delivery (food-miles) of agriculture produce reduces the shelf-time on retail stores.
- Harvesting agriculture produce at the peak-time results on a higher end-customer perceived quality.
- It is possible to have better farm productivity if vegetables receive additional light from artificial light sources.
- End-customers appreciate organic products and pay a premium price.
Milestones will be created per each essay and funds released accordingly.