We are a mobile app development company with a tradition in building apps that revolve around fun, user friendly games. Our latest app is a chat fiction game called Unraveled. We have a baseline of stories written & are included in the launch, however we are now wanting to build a larger library of stories. Additional details & requirements are posted at the bottom, please read them thoroughly before applying!
We are seeking fluent, English speaking, creative writers who will write short, chat-based fictional stories. The app is similar to that of the popular apps Yarn and Hooked. English does not have to be your first language, however you MUST be not only fluent in the language, but the slang & culture that accompanies traditional American (secondarily Canadian & English/UK) style of text/message communications. The writers should have experience in writing for our target audience, which are more female oriented (though not exclusively so), & generally teen through late 20’s and early 30's.
The stories should be fictional, & the topics are wide including but not limited to suspense, horror/scary, romantic (not explicit), drama, funny, & so on. We prefer stories that have a slight twist to them or are otherwise engaging with the character development. For stories that have an ongoing theme, we do allow multi part & sequels, HOWEVER - each story should be able to stand alone. There are the obvious ~~“don’t go in the basement” **“but there’s a noise down there” ~~“but don’t go down there” **“ok, well, I’m going to go to the basement anyway……. Oh no, something bad happened.” stories that all apps of this nature have - while we will accept them if they’re engaging, we encourage you to think a little more outside the box.
The stories should be:
- Formatted like a chat or message, so that the story reads as a message/text thread. Just like if you were texting a friend. An example of the exact format that each story needs to be submitted has been included & you should use this as a guideline. It’s spreadsheet style, & can be a .csv or .xls(x) file. (or google doc spreadsheet) Please format the submitted story in this manner.
- Titled - please provide a title for your story
- The target audience is young teens through late 20’s (& some early 30’s), typically female, though some male or androgynous oriented content may be selected. However, we lean towards female oriented content first.
- Each chat message story should flow seamlessly & build suspense as the story progresses. Twists or unexpected story developments are encouraged.
- We do enjoy for there to be a natural “break point” or “suspense moment” somewhere around line 200, but it’s certainly not necessary.
- Each chat message should be succinct & will generally contain an average of between 4-8 words, though obviously longer or shorter where necessary. The flow of the conversation will dictate the length, so do _not_ become anchored by this. In some cases a lengthy “text” message is necessary - but the majority of the time the stories are told through conversational style messages.
- Each story, in it’s entirety, should be somewhere around 300-500 lines, with a variance of 50 lines or so allowed. In the interest of flexibility, we give you leeway to deviate from this based on narrative & story flow. We prefer the story to flow well rather than bind you to specific line numbers. Stories under 200 lines will generally not be accepted unless they are exceptionally written.
- The pace that each message is displayed will be controlled by the user, they will tap the screen to display the next message in the sequence/story. The messages do not have to necessarily alternate senders (story characters) between each message, (such as one character may send several messages in a row) however should maintain a level of realism.
- While text shorthand such as “lol” & “brb” are allowed, please refrain from overly using these terms, & please avoid lesser used shorthand abbreviations such as “fwiw” & “imho” etc.
- As mentioned, this is an English based app, centered on American (with secondary nods to Canadian/UK) culture & you must write it in a format that is consistent with this style of texting/messaging.
- You CAN use emojis
- You CAN use photos, but it’s not a common practice (we can select stock photography for you if there is a need for photos, so that it remains within copyright legal usage)
- You CAN use “breaks” in the story. We call them “announcements” - such as “ANNOUNCEMENT - 15 Minutes Later” - please see the example for how to properly insert this into a story
- You CAN use more than two characters in a story, such as if there are four parties talking via two separate conversations, or one party talking to two separate parties. Please do not go much further than this.
- Curse words may be used, but please utilize them SPARINGLY & only where you feel is absolutely necessary.
Less than 30 hrs/week
1 to 3 months1-3 monthsProject LengthDuration
I am looking for a mix of experience and value