Interior(1) FCM(2) Flaps & Copyright Total
794 730 358 1882
(1) This is the story portion and what we need as an audio recording
(2) For Creative Minds is our 3-6 page educational section in the back and requires translation but no audio
Description of each process:
• Translation should be age appropriate
• We would prefer to work with Creative Suite InDesign and would provide the current IDD file with a blank text layer for the translation
• Would like the translated text positioned and formatted to fit
• If InDesign use and formatting of the translation is not an option, we can provide an excel translation template or work with google drive / sheets and handle the formatting on our end.
2. Audio Recording
• Looking for a translator or translation team that can provide quality audio without having the expense of sound studios and sound engineers.
• A high-end microphone with laptop in a home studio or quiet home and someone who knows what they are doing can produce good quality readings.
• No fancy voice acting desired. Just a nice reading as if a young parent to child or young teacher to class. Either male or female is fine and would prefer a mix.
• Only read the “interior text”
• Desired audio recording output:
1. one cleaned .wav file of the interior text with 3 seconds between each 2-pg spread (file named: DearKomodoIN.wav)
2. one, full .mp3 file of the interior text converted from the cleaned .wav (file named: DearKomodoIN.mp3)
3. 16 mp3 clips cut from the full .mp3 matching the 16 2-pg spreads (file naming: DearKomodoIN p1.mp3, DearKomodoIN p3.mp3, DearKomodoIN p5.mp3 … DearKomodoIN p31.mp3
• Despite proofreading with numerous sets of eyes, we sometimes discover translation or editing errors during audio recording. For that reason, we do not lock down the translation until after the audio recording.
• After the audio recording is complete, and any final corrections to the translation text and audio, upload both products to Arbordale.
3. Audio timing
• We have worked with Soundbooth and Audacity time stamp output (.txt) but suspect we can work with most editing software output.
• Word highlighting with audio synch makes 1 to 1 correlation critical where every word is recorded and every word has a start and stop time
• Omitting words in the audio recording or omitting time stamps is painful to fix late in the game so we use an excel template to guide the time stamping process.
• We copy the interior text translation and transpose it to our eBook Conversion template (excel) so that each word has its own row
• Each word (row) is numbered sequentially from (1) beginning to end and (2) is also numbered within each spread.
• We would then send the eBook Conversion template for the audio time stamper to use as a guide
• Audio time stamps start over (0.000s) with each 2-pg spread and corresponding mp3 clip independent of other mp3 clips.
• We time stamp before the first word (usually about 1/10 th of a second before) and then dead center between each word during normal reading pace.
• Word stop times on our spreadsheet are formula driven and equal to the start time of the following word. Two exceptions: (1) At the end of a 2-pg spread (end of mp3 clip) we need a stop time stamp after the last word. And, (2) sometimes, the reader may pause longer than normal like between the pages on the spread. If it is a noticeably long pause, we can either trim the silence or add a manual stop. We do not want words highlighted if not with corresponding audio.
• To ensure 1 to 1 correlation, we do a quick check about every 8-10 time stamps to verify that the “marker” or time stamp sequence number generated by the editing software matches the number shown on our eBook Conversion template. If it does not, it means a time stamp was omitted and time stamper has to go back and find it. The longer you wait between error and discovering error, the harder it is to find the missing time stamp.
• Send the text output by email direct from your sound software. In the beginning, please send each spread’s time stamps as they are completed so that we can identify process errors, if any.
1. samples of audio to assess quality of voice and recording
Hours to be determined
More than 3 months3+ monthsProject LengthDuration
I am looking for a mix of experience and value