Greetings! This is a long term role for an independent, technically oriented developer, to take command of an established Rails project. We're a long-time Upwork provider with many happy contracts completed and the right candidate will be able to get going quickly and with experienced developers to assist. You'll have clear requirements and a Docker based virtualized development environment to get going without the setting-up headaches!
The application is a popular consumer media app used by millions of unique users each month on web and mobile platforms. This project is an API, a web app, and has a background processing capability with scraping/crawling functionality. We generally follow "out of the box" Rails conventions, i.e. MySQL and Sidekiq, and you'll be using recent versions of Ruby, Rails, and required libraries.
The project is full time on European hours - 35-40 hours per week - and you should be comfortable with English videoconference planning calls, following an agile/scrum style process for ongoing development.
* Strong CS/programming fundamentals - algorithms, data structures, REST API design, etc.
* 3-5+ years full-time experience with all major aspects of Ruby and Rails for back-end and API development
* Unix based command-line development
* Strong familiarity with SQL and relational database design
* Comfortable with unit testing and test-driven development
* Conversational English and good communication skills
Not required, but nice to have:
* Familiarity with HTTP standards used for crawling/scraping
* Competence with performance optimisation and high-scale operations
* Deployment and operations to production services
* Familiarity with Redis
* Familiarity with Docker
* Familiarity with AWS services, particularly S3