Mr AB has type 1 diabetes. He is on a multiple injection regimen – insulin glargine (a long-acting insulin analogue to be administered once daily), and NovoRapid (a rapid-acting insulin to be administered before meals). He is finding it difficult to maintain his current treatment regimen. What alternatives are there for Mr AB?
• Critical review of treatment options for this patient in relation to current guidelines and recommendations, this should also consider treatments currently under development (500 words)
• Critical evaluate the evidence behind recommendations (250 words)
• Critically analyse the differences in the formulations available, including advantage and disadvantages, and pharmacokinetic behaviour if the same drug is delivered via another route (200 words)
• Outline and review the monitoring requirements and/or counselling points and evidence behind this (200 words)
Key points to consider:
• Parenteral route of administration where appropriate
I am looking for a mix of experience and value