Hello! My name is Jack and I'm the lead editor for a website that publishes articles about Japan. We publish articles about learning the Japanese language, traveling in Japan, and about Japanese culture.
We're looking for a native Japanese speaker (who can read & write in Japanese as well) to fact check our articles and make sure they are 100% accurate. This position will require you to reference websites (mostly in Japanese) to confirm our information is up to date. We would prefer someone who grew up or spent a lot of time in Japan, as some of our articles are about Japanese culture and living in Japan.
Details About the Position:
We check all of our articles to make sure our facts are correct before we publish them. However, the information in our articles often changes. For example, the ticket prices for buses/trains can increase, or the hours of operation of businesses or train/bus routes may change.
In addition to this, our writers often use the English version of Japanese websites to gather information. Sometimes there are discrepancies between the information found on the Japanese vs. English websites. We would like someone to use the original/official websites in Japanese to check the accuracy of our facts.
Hours and Pay:
Our budget is $10.00 per hour. We are looking for someone who can work 1 - 3 hours per week but are open to negotiation if you would like to work more hours per week.
The average word count of our articles is around 1,500 to 2,000 words each.
In the beginning, you will have to read and check each article in its entirety, which will take time to go through. However, after doing this initial check, we would still like you to recheck it every few weeks to make sure all of the information is up to date. You'll only have to check the information that is subject to change (ticket prices, train routes, business hours, etc).
We would prefer someone who can commit to a long-term project. This would be a big project with around 100 articles to be checked and new articles published every few weeks.
Types of Articles on our Website:
Here's a breakdown of the type of articles that need to be checked for facts:
1. Travel articles (around 70% of articles): The majority of articles that need to be check are about traveling in Japan. We have articles talking about popular destinations in Japan as well as specific attractions and hotel write-ups. Most of the facts that need to be checked in these types of articles are the business hours, ticket prices, hotel specifications, and directions to get to certain attractions.
2. Japanese Language articles (around 10% of articles): We have articles on how to learn Japanese and lessons that teach basic words and grammar to our readers. We would like to make sure that the Japanese being taught in our articles is natural and accurate.
3. Japanese products (around 10% of articles): These articles talk about products from Japanese. We would like the product specifications and statements to be checked for accuracy.
4. Living in Japan articles (around 5%): Informative pieces about living in Japan and how-to type of articles.
5. Japanese culture/fun articles (around 5%): Articles about Japanese food, manga, anime, and things that are geared towards entertainment.
Native Japanese Speaker who can also read and write Japanese
An exceptional command of the English language
Experienced editor (at least 1 year of professional experience with fact checking/editing articles)
Knowledge of Japanese culture and living in Japan (preferred, but not required)
If you would like to know more about our website and the type of material we are looking for, don't hesitate to contact us. If you have samples of your work, please feel free to send it to us.
Thank you for your time and we hope to work with you soon!
Less than 30 hrs/week
More than 3 months3+ monthsProject LengthDuration
I am looking for a mix of experience and value