We are a software company specialising in real-time transactions and we are busy redesigning the interface we use to monitor and configure our products.
We are looking to design a single responsive interface where users would be able to several things, such as monitoring the service, changing settings, deploy instances of the software, manage users, etc. We realise this is a long journey as there is a lot to consider. However, we need to get going and we would like to start with preliminary designs of the monitoring/dashboard side and need a strong designer to help us with this and hopefully future designs too.
I'll talk to each image in the list:
1. This is the high-level overall look and feel we would like to go for. Let's walk it through:
- There should be a collapsable menu bar with the logo of our company or the client in the top left. If the client logo is used, the dashboard should include our logo somewhere with something along the lines of "Powered by Causal Nexus".
- We do not need the user profile to be this pronounced. It could be smaller and placed in a top menu bar as the second screen mockup shows.
- I like the menu bar items, but we don't want to go with the gradient selection. Please see 2. below.
- The metrics at the bottom of the menu can be removed. This will all be displayed in the main display area.
- I like the Sign Out option at the bottom.
- Moving over to the main display area, I like the modern look and feel and the generous use of whitespace. Given that we need to display a lot of data, this is not always a luxury we have, so we might have to compromise on this.
- I would also like the dashboard to have two modes a light and a dark mode, but I want all the components to be slightly translucent, so that one can change the background to any image. More on this later.
- There should be a notifications/alerts section which pulls the user's attention to that area as there might be actions she must take.
- On the other screen mockups, again the look and feel is great, but I do not like the style of the graph. The login widget at the bottom also looks great.
2. I prefer the style of menu selection to that of 1. I also like the background (or ability to change the background) and the translucent components.
3. This background is also great. It need not be a photo of the alps for example. It could just be a modern smooth gradient of sorts.
4. When changing settings or logging in, one would need a form. I quite like this design, but not sure if it will work well in a design like 1.
5. These are examples of the widgets/components we would need to include. The dashboard should be able to go into full-screen mode, where only these widgets are visible. We want the option to hover over a widget and have a gear or something show where one could change the widget settings. Widgets should be organised in a grid, where one could change the widget size to say 1x2 squares or 3x3, etc. One should be able to interact with the data, but clicking through to another view/say a larger version. The hover over should also bring up a filter icon (to sift through the data) and a pause button to prevent the data from changing on the fly. (The data is realtime, so stuff jumps up and down all the time and you might want to pause while you are analysing.)
6. This is the client logo we want on the mockups.
7. Our own logo.
8. This is the data the client would like to have visualised. Obviously this is quite crude, so we need to think of creative ways to display it beautifully.
9. An example of the old / existing dashboard. It gets the job done, but it is very basic.
Our goal with this job is then to have preliminary designs for the following:
#1 Login/logout window.
#2 Application framework (menu, header, footer, display area).
#3 The dashboard section with the widgets the client has indicated.
#4 The form design used to update content/settings/widgets.
#5 The design should utilise web libraries (Bootstrap/D3/Ploty.js/Chartist.js) currently available. Our team is not big enough to build everything from scratch.
#6 The design must be responsive.
Hours to be determined
Less than 1 month< 1 monthProject LengthDuration
I am looking for a mix of experience and value