Looking for a proofreader join our team at our virtual editorial agency. It starts with a probation period for both of us, but we are looking for someone who would be interested in a more permanent position if the candidate is the right fit and demonstrates a higher-level skillset.
Position currently involves diligent proofreading assignments for client content including blog posts, marketing materials, and eBook drafts. You will also be expected to provide some copy edits as well, beyond basic grammar and errors. Will also involve occasionally writing posts and articles for clients and the company (1-2 per month).
This means we are looking for a careful set of eyes to catch all those typos and errors before client work gets published. Unfortunately, people will notice a misspelling long before they'll consider the gravity of a writer's argument.
You can see some of our prior contractor’s comments below the job posting, and here are some comments from our company chats:
~ Aw, you're [all] so incredibly encouraging! I can't tell you how much I appreciate being a part of an inspiring, supportive environment. I'm so eager to get started on more projects!
~ Thanks for being so supportive (especially for my first week) and providing kind words of encouragement. You have been incredibly awesome to communicate with while I'm still learning some of the ropes.
Ideal Candidates Will Have:
- Exceptional English writing and editing skills (Prefer a Fluent Level––you have either studied English at a high academic level OR have 5+ years comparable experience)
- Extensive background in proofreading and/or copy editing for either clients or a publication
- Dedication to all things grammar, syntax, and careful corrections (without sacrificing the voice or tone from the writer)
- Previous experience working with content in the online marketing, internet business, ecommerce, and/or tech industries
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Familiarity with word processing applications like MS Word, Google Docs, Scrivener, etc.
- Regularly uses various web applications like WordPress and SEO tools
- A fairly flexible schedule. Editing projects have a 24-48 hour turnaround, but are assigned throughout the week. Work can be done wherever and whenever, as long as it is done well and on deadline.
- Consistent delivery and communication skills. If I have to message more than twice to inquire when a piece will be delivered, we will have to have a conversation.
- Send a BRIEF cover letter (less than 250 words) explaining why you would like this position and one unique skill that you will add to the agency team. Also, please explain what your schedule and availability includes.
- Include your experience working in the online marketing, internet business, ecommerce, and/or tech industries
- A sample of your own writing (can be a blog post, magazine byline, guest article, website copy, etc.)
- Describe any non-writing or editing skills you have that would be an asset to the agency team, including studies and certifications.
We will select a small number of applicants to proof a document to be sent in the next round.
Please include the following phrase at the end of your application: "The blue M&M's are superior to orange. This is a statement of fact."
Less than 30 hrs/week
More than 3 months3+ monthsProject LengthDuration
I am looking for a mix of experience and value