I am currently responsible for development of the project doba.ua. It's a web site with 10 000 unique users per day. The project is now to big to me handle the administrative tasks, so I am looking for a specialist.
I am looking for a person for a long cooperation. We will start from the existing issues and than as new will arrive will progress.
Currently there are next opened tasks:
- Configure a new development instance of the project (install needed software, set up supervision, add users, permissions, configure ssh access)
- Enhance the backup cron script to remove unneeded backups, compress and transport to the Glacier on Amazon
- Add anti DDOS protection on top (or in another way) of apache . Also we need something to secure from basic scrapping. Ability to perform this task with care for Google Bot whitelisting is very needed.
- Fix SSL certificate deployment in apache. \ This one is not confirmed
- Log rotation fix to allow rotation by size AND period of time.
- Fix clock synchronization on deployment server
- Find the cause and fix it for apache reload problems of wsgi instances. Sometimes those just stop reacting.
- Installation and configuration of RabbitMQ for python Celery async tasks. Plus some monitoring for the Celery system.
- Some server security and enhances consulting
There are many tasks that pop up on need like software installation/configuration.
Not many but some requeire fast fixes, like DDOS attacks (there were 2 of those for the past year)
There are a lot that are planed but not confirmed yet like:
- Migration from Apache - ModWSGI - WSGIApp to Nginx - uWSGI - WSGIApp chain
- Enhanced request statistics based on log parsing. Those include webalizer, traffic analizers and some custom statistics
- Mysql configuration enhances (we have the basic ubuntu config, maybe we can enhance it...)
- Blocking access to services based on IP and proxy. something like: do not allow more than 100 reviews per day etc.
The technologies used on the web server:
- Ubuntu 10.04 OS
- Python, more precisely Pyramid working through WSGI gateway
- Apache 2
- Supervisor for daemon process management
- Celery (python lib for async tasks) with AMPQ as a broker
- basic ubuntu utils like cron, sendmail...
The main reason we want an expert is so we can find good solution for many quite basic problems like db configuration and Web server configuration, backup and rotation, traffic analizis and filtering.
We absolutely need the candidate to have good knowledge of WEB server administration, Apache (alternatively nginx, as we will migrate to it, but this needs more discussions), Mysql and Linux systems administration. Mongo knowledge will be useful, but as it's relatively new we may pass this for now.
Skills: amazon, apache, administration, linux