For my project, I am looking for a skilled, smart, and communicative contractor.
Eventually, I need a lightweight object oriented PHP-script that will do the following:
1. Take an URL from an input-field.
2. Process the HTML-document. Make the script select certain tags and attributes from the source. This selection of content-parts will happen based on conditions like file-extension (.jpg, .png), tag-name (img, video, iframe), width and height.
3. Remote sources (like images) should be checked for hotlinking possibilities. Meaning: the script should be able to make a distinction between hotlink-protected sources, and ones that are not protected.
(Don't worry, possible legal consequences of this project are covered. Direct links to remote sources will be presented. As well as a possibility for the legitimate owner to delete a specific entry.)
4. The extracted content-parts should now be presented on screen, without all the decoration and style from the source. Only content remains. Some 'meta-data' like width, height and file-type is also shown.
5. Remember, the used technique should be ready for growth (some call it 'scalable') and for actual speed of use.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
But let me start with asking for a plan. How would you start this? What is important? Give me a sort of story on the essence of the system, the objects, it's functions, et cetera. Your plan should fit on only one (!) sheet of paper.
It should not only contain solutions, but also some smart questions. This will prove your understanding of the concept. and your general ability of problem-solving.
I will judge applications on communication skills first. I am a (limited) webdeveloper myself, and I understand the different concepts required for this job. But remember, the plan should reflect your views, opinions, and choices.
If I pick you as the contractor for this job, I will provide you with more details on this project. The rest of the project is also done in smaller chunks, so the process remains flexible. This way, we can change when different circumstances or new insights demand this.
The fixed price is for this plan only. If I choose you for the job, we will discuss the other fixed prices for the new sub-projects. Job done well? Than I am a generous person.
I may choose more than one contractor. Also to keep things flexible.
Do you want this project? Give me arguments for your view and opinion on the given description. Ask some smart questions. Let me know your skills a little better. The more your response matches with this job post, the better.
I am looking forward to your plan.
Thanks for your time.