Okay, so this job requires only good knowledge how to use Google, and bits of Keyword Research.
What is this task about?:
We are working on creating freelancer video (web designers, wordpress to be precise) training course. And while we have done bits of surveys on our site - around 150 various responses, we still need to scour the web of what kind of problems we could solve.
How this needs to be done? - by checking Google for freelancer web designer communities, forums, questions on Quora, Yahoo Answers. Checking freelancer and web design blogs - finding out which posts get shared the most, gets the most comments - showing that it's hot topic and big pain point.
Since we will be creating video course - then doing research on what kind of related freelance videos, wordpress training are doing good is required.
You will also need to create a survey for our readers. If you've done your research, then you will know just the right questions to ask. We have mailing list of 57.000 people, we need to get them to participate in survey and provide with more additional data.
While researching popular freelance beginner questions and freelance wordpress design questions, you will get good vision on what questions are asked.
Then keyword research will be needed to be done, helping us understand what keyphrases are actually being searched, showing how most people ask the questions.
At the end of this research, surveying - there should be clear vision on which topics we need to cover, create videos about.
Keywords I used to start researching was:
- freelance web design
- freelancer wordpress
- this is closest to the product we are about to create - http://www.learnwebdevelopment.com/the-successful-web-designer/ (use this page for starting keywords since those will be around the same topics we will talk about)
It's also needed to research this angle:
- why freelancers should blog, do content marketing to attract clients ( I have big experience in creating blog, I wanted to know what's other freelancer view to blogging, how many have been successful, what are their questions before they are starting, popular mistakes, pain points)
- freelancers should blog to get clients. Most popular freelance question is - how to get clients, how to get more clients, how to get first client.
Few articles I found on this topic ( comments need to be checked and reviewed to notice most popular questions, put on spreadsheet).
- http://freelancefolder.com/why-you-need-a-freelance-blog/ - more than 90 comments!
It will help if you have some experience in web design and freelancing field, since then you will know communities to look for and you might already read related blogs, which could be good source for research results.
I need all the results formatted in easy to consume, presentable format. Raw data could be put on Google spreadsheets, but main results - should be easy to consume.
Good end result would be - around 10 good ideas for videos (supplemented by keyword research) on each topic:
- Getting Clients
- Lead Generation
- Building Websites in WordPress
- How to Create a Marketing Plan
- Blogging To Get Clients (Content Marketing for freelancers)
Again this http://www.learnwebdevelopment.com/the-successful-web-designer/ existing product can be used for good guidelines, since our product will be on the same topics.
Skills: keyword-research, training, yahoo, design, video, research, marketing