APPRISE: A trafficking victim identification app
Translation & Voice Recording Job Description
APPRISE is a smarthphone app that front-line responders can use to interview potential human trafficking/modern slavery victims. Out of the over 40 million people reduced in slavery every year (Source: Alliance 8.7, 9/2017), a huge portion is represented by migrant workers - trafficked and exploited in a second country. NGOs and authorities often have difficulties identifying these victims due to problems communicating with migrant workers due to the large number of languages spoken. The most prominent feature of APPRISE is that it includes questionnaires for potential victims in multiple languages that can help responders overcome the language barrier.
Mekong Club and UNU-CS are looking for translators from English into a number of languages, specifically
In order to successfully deliver the output as requested, you will need to go through the following steps:
a. Written translation
- Receive the word doc file to be translated and read the requirements
- Translate text in chosen language. Please only translate highlighted text. While doing this, keep in mind the following:
o Choice of terms: Some terms such as exploitation/ wages/ employer may have different translations in your language. Translator should pay attention to try and translate these terms in the most appropriate way given the context of this project (human trafficking victim identification) and in a consistent way.
o Do not be too literal and try to get to the meaning of the translation, but at the same time try to use a simple language that is easy to understand.
- Send the complete word doc to receiver and wait for approval (translation will be proofread by another native speaker)
- Edit as needed (2 rounds of edits are included in the compensation offered)
*Note: If you are translating a language that does not have a written form, move directly to step b.
b. Voiceover recording
Once the translated script is finalized, you will need to record it as follows
- Test a short recording and send it to us, we will ensure that quality is OK before proceeding
- Once approved, record every phrase you have translated as a separate voiceover. While recording, keep in mind to keep a friendly, clear and bright voice. Do not mention numbers are the beginning of the questions. Read the question only. The number are for written reference only.
- Save the files in m4a format
- The result will be several short voiceover files, as many as the rows on the table below. Title the files according to the letter of the question list and the number of the phrase you see in the word doc so that for us it is easier to distinguish which is which (e.g. A1.m4a, B2.m4a, ..)
- Send us the files and wait for approval
- Edit as needed (2 round of edits are included in the compensation offered)
Timeline to complete the Job including voiceover recording: Feb 28, 2018
- You have experience with translations
- You understand/ know the issue of human trafficking at least superficially
- You are well organized, and can work with quick turnaround and follow instructions very closely
We offer 0.08 USD per word translated and 0.05 USD per spoken word recorded. Several questions are repeated in the list, and they will be counted once only for the scope of payment.
March 6, 2018
I am willing to pay higher rates for the most experienced freelancers
Translate:from English to Khmer vietnamese lao etc