Versatile Graphics Designer / Web Developer
Firstly, we're not looking for just ANY graphics designer - we hope to find one who is VERY tech-savvy. In fact, possibly even an aspiring web programmer that happens to have strong graphics and web design skills.
We're looking to establish a long-lasting relationship with an on-call graphics designer / web developer that can handle our clients varied needs. Job tasks:
- Web page creating, editing, repurposing; general HTML/CSS coding
- Email marketing design and dealing with deprecated HTML
- Illustrator and InDesign editing
- Print ad concept and design
- Adding/modifying Magento products/data; editing Magento HTML pages
Logistical & intrinsic requirements:
- Must be on a high-speed connection, as we will be sharing source files that can reach in excess of 1gb.
- Adobe creative suite guru (Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, InDesign).
- Top-notch English skills, as you may be asked to write marketing copy, occasionally, in your designs. You may also be interfacing with our clients directly via email and Skype IM, in order to collect further specifications and clarification.
- Must possess the ability to work with limited direction, and/or have good judgment to make assumptions in order to progress the project without further direction. We would rather see a few extra billable hours while you express your initiative and research your own solutions, rather than have us or our client fill in every single detail and supply every single component of the project.
- Must understand contemporary design; must be capable of understanding and creating the latest in functional design - we want confident designers who have pitted themselves against other designers and know their work output is well above the average, and/or can emulate the best.
- Photoshop slices, smart objects and dynamic linking, masking, and working with properly organized layers.
- Illustrator paths, opacity maps, Boolean design methods using pathfinder functions, stroke alignment options, node editing / Bezier curves, working in pixel perfect environments with dynamic links to Photoshop PSDs.
- You either must have worked with HTML design for email marketing and understand the nature of multi-client support using legacy/deprecated design techniques, OR you are a seasoned HTML coder and can learn quickly of the email client compatibility restrictions & best practices.
- Organized and graceful handling of files. Seriously. If you get confused handling multiple files across multiple projects, and do not value a streamlined workflow between applications and linked files, then you may want to pass on this one! We'll be using Dropbox for file handling, and it will quickly become a nightmare if you're more interested in getting the work done, than you are in a tight workflow with properly kept & versioned files.
In your application, give us ONE sentence on each:
- Why you believe your design skills fit with the current internet & print standard.
- If/how you enjoy picking through someone else's work, and making it better under the same restrictions.
- How you test and troubleshoot CSS while you design in HTML.
- The most interesting/impressive thing you have ever worked on (provide link if possible).
- If you're comfortable researching and expressing your own ideas, and applying them to the project.
Your application must provide these answers, and a portfolio, or it will be discarded. Please, no agencies or hiring managers; we want to hear from YOU, the designer.
If you've read the application this far, then we already like you! We look forward to hearing from you and possibly building a long-term, mutually-beneficial relationship.