We seek a web-oriented developer to work on innovative data-driven applications as part of a small virtual team. You'll get to play a major role from day one, use a broad range of tech and learn new skills.
We are open to range of experience: smart and interested are our key criteria. We welcome inexperienced candidates or those lacking the exact skills if they are hard-working and ready and able to learn fast.
Whatever your level of experience you **must** be a self-starter and able to work remotely.
At Datopian https://datopian.com/, we build and develop a variety of data-driven applications and platforms both for clients and as products for ourselves. Our founder and lead designed and built the world's most successful open data platform (CKAN), and has built solutions for dozens of clients ranging from NGOs to to multinationals. A lot of our work is open-source and we have a strong emphasis on seeing data used to make the world a better place.
Please answer the following questions when submitting an application:
- What is JSON and CSV and how are they different?
- Do you have any questions about the job description?
- Have you built any publicly available projects or apps (especially open source)? (No problem if not!)
## Desired Skills (the more the better - novice may have few or none)
- Data vs Metadata: know difference between data and metadata
- Familiarity with Git (and Github)
- Familiarity with a command line (preferably bash)
- Know what CSV is and what JSON is
- Know what a real text editor is (e.g. notepad, textmate, vim, emacs, …) and know how to use it
- Knowledge of Web APIs and/or HTML
- Use of curl or similar command line tool for accessing Web APIs or web pages
- Mac or Linux is your default operating system (will make access to relevant tools that much easier)
- Python / NodeJS (the more the better)
- Scraping and data processing using python or node (or go)
- Good knowledge of SQL
- Knowledge (and use) of map reduce
- Knowledge of Postgresql
- Knowledge of ElasticSearch
- Familiarity with AWS stack e.g. S3, Lambda
- Building web applications in Node or Python (especially using Flask)
Please include a sample of your existing work - either a link to something public online or a link to a private google doc. Big bonus for links to any open source code you have written or contributed to.
## Form of engagement
Remote: virtual participation from location of your choice.
Timezone: Europe, Middle East, Asia only. Specifically: GMT to GMT+6 i.e. London to to 6h ahead of London. Optimally within 4-5h of London.
Timeline: we are flexible on part-time to full-time. Initial engagement could be flexible. We are looking for someone who could engage with us longer-term if things work out as we have the potential for ongoing work over months (or even years).
Rate: negotiable based on experience etc. Will be hourly and will depend on productivity. Will usually start lower and revise this (upwards) once productivity is established (we can discuss this).
Agencies: no agencies.
Hours to be determined
More than 3 months3+ monthsProject LengthDuration
I am looking for freelancers with the lowest rates