Webster Pacific is looking to hire a Mandarin-speaking Research Analyst trained in a combination of data science, research, and/or business data analysis. The main areas of responsibility for this position include market research, preparing and testing data in excel, building data visualizations, and information architecture / presentation. This position will run twenty hours a week for four months or longer, starting in October, with a possibility of extension. Ideally, the analyst will be available during Eastern or Pacific Time Zone business hours.
In our analytical endeavors we work closely with our clients to determine their exact data needs, both organizational and visual. Then, we research where data, public or private, is available to supplement our client's internal data. Finding this data, however, is only the beginning. After gathering required data sources, we use information architecture to design how the data will be presented and navigated for consumption by the client. Finally, we visualize answers using a combination of maps, tables, charts, graphs, and descriptive text, always being mindful of coloring, layout, words and other aesthetics, with all due deference to Tufte.
Our firm works at a fast pace with a variety of tools, but the process is careful and orderly. We are at the cutting edge of organizational and visualization methods and we spend significant time thinking through how to clearly present an answer as well as research it.
We currently use a variety of tools including Tableau, ArcGIS, Excel, Relational Database Systems (SQL Server, FileMaker, etc.), as well as written prose to reflect our careful research and conclusions. Candidates should already know or be willing to quickly learn any and all of these tools.
Specifically, job duties will fall in a few areas:
• Create, format, and work with data in spreadsheets in Excel
• Translate data, documents, and other items between Mandarin and English
• Online research and collecting data
• Build reports, analyze and present data in Excel
• Other work as capacity and aptitudes allow
Webster Pacific is a strategy, business intelligence, and financial consulting firm, serving clients in a variety of industries including charter schools, private schools, forest products, farming, specialty foods and internet software. Recent projects have included site selection analytics, business strategy work, development of reporting and information systems, data analysis, and operations optimization. Webster Pacific also acts as interim CFO for a number of businesses.
The ideal candidate possesses:
• Fluency in Mandarin.
• Experience in data analysis and visualization tools, especially Excel.
• Intelligent and with a sense for numbers.
• Strong organizational, interpersonal, and analytical skills.
• Ability to quickly learn software systems.
• Capability of managing several projects at a time.
• Personable and friendly.
• Persistent and creative in pursuit of solutions.
• Love of data and passion for analysis and data visualization.