My team is building commercial desktop software. This software is code generation software for Excel VBA. The tool guides a user through a series of questions (think guided wizard), and based on their selections, generates VBA code. The target end user is a non-programmer within a Business Analyst function. Target completion in 3 months, but no later than Feb 1, 2017.
The backend of this software has been developed in MS Access (which is not a long term solution), and the goal of the team is to move it into a platform(s) ready for commercial release, as standalone software.
The UX/UI is still under development. But, the expectation of someone with this project is to be able to mock up a base interface (with the expectation that we'll work with a front end/UI+UX designer in the future). I'll serve as the first 'end user' to vet the design through.
This is how I foresee us working - I will mock up how I want to the prototype to function (via crude ppt slides), and you effectively translate my wish list into working software. Or, tell me to buzz off because what I'm asking happens to be impossible. :)
*****The overall goal of this project is to build a working prototype, ready to show investors and raise series seed investment.****
**What I’m Looking For**
1. Experience with commercial software development. If you have experience building software, and selling it online, that would be absolutely great.
2. Experience with Excel VBA. Obviously, super helpful if you do.
3. Work currently as a full time freelancer. Not to say I am hiring someone full time! But, I've worked with freelancers who have day jobs, and it tends to be a challenge to work with them. Not to say it isn't possible, but you'll have to make a case.
4. Comfort with milestone payments (versus hourly). Big proponent of milestone based pricing. This is what I mean: we sit down, and outline the final deliverable I'm looking for. Then, chunk that up into smaller milestones. For each milestone, we set dates, and set a price for each milestone. I only pay you upon successful completion of each milestone. This approach has worked extremely well in the past, and one I want to employ. Although the total budget is up to $10,000, it will chopped into milestones.
5. Provide a past work example. Share with me example software you've built in the past that you are MOST proud of! I want to see how you think, the flow of your app, etc.
6. Experience with designing 'search based' functionality. A key part of this tool is for a user to search for key objects, functions, or an object's properties/methods/events. The searching has to be reliable, and likely require the ability to 'learn' over time. Ex. people may continue to search 'graph', when the object they need is 'Chart'. Our tool needs to ultimately 'learn' over time.
7. Your proposed tech stack. We have been toying around with Visual Studio, SQL Server, Amazon RDS. Don't really care what your tech stack is, but it has to be able to serve the type of functionality I'm proposing above, and accommodate thousands of users.
This is a complete pain (I've outlined 7 things above), but in your application I would like your feedback to the points above.
This is a super fun project, and hope you think so too!