This is for a linguist position to provide language services including translation, transcription, voice-over, over-the-phone interpreting, interpreting-consecutive, and/or interpreting-simultaneous for the any agency within the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) for a five year contract through Compass Languages. DHS will issue multiple task orders. Each one will have different requirements and pay rates.
Must meet the following criteria:
1. Must be living in the United States
2. Be a U.S. Citizen or U.S. Permanent Resident
3. Must have a clear background without financial issues or criminal records that will prohibit one from getting a security clearance
4. 1 yr experience as a linguist
5. Must be 18 yrs old or older
6. Must hold a high school diploma or equivalent
7. Have to have at least one certification with either the American Translators Association, studies in language services (including Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees), or with a recognized certificate program
8. Must have passed a language proficiency test within the past 5 years with one of the certification programs below: (If have passed testing in last 5 years with a different recognized program, may still be eligible).
• By the U.S. Government: Members of the Interagency Language Roundtable (Department of State/Foreign Service Institute; Department of Defense/Defense Language Institute; Department of Justice/Federal Bureau of Investigation; Peace Corps; United Nations). A proficiency rating of 2+ in speaking, listening, reading, writing, and congruity judgment in the target language and in English
• By the Federal Court Interpreters Certification Program
• By the State Courts
• ALTA Language Services (ALTA)
• American Translators Association (ATA)
• American Council of Teachers of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
• Bay Area Court Interpreters
• California Court Interpreters Association California Federation of Interpreters, Inc.
• Central Intelligence Agency (CIA)
• Defense Language Proficiency Test (DLPT) by Defense Language Institute (DLI)
• Educational Testing Services (ETS)
• Foreign Service Institute (FSI)
• Northern California Translators Association Peace Corps
• Southern California Translators Association Translators and Interpreters Guild
• Certification Commission for Healthcare Interpreters (CCHI)
• National Board of Certified Medical Interpreters (NBCMI)
If you have questions about whether or not you qualify, feel free to email me with your certifications, experience, etc and I will let you know.
If you are qualified and interested, please email me and I will send you an introductory email and documents that will explain things in further detail.