We are hiring a market researcher for the Chinese market to create a comprehensive study about web-based services in the field of music-related education and related customer segments. Applicants will first be requested to deliver a first outline of the study including initial findings with recommendations on direction of subsequent research. The estimated budget for this phase is $30. We will likely hire multiple researchers for this phase to identify the most qualified. The chosen applicant will then be asked to complete the rest of the research, which has an estimated budget of $300, but may be extended, if deemed necessary. In addition, the candidate is likely to be hired for future related projects.
The research consists of two elements. Details to narrow the scope of each part will be provided during interviews with selected applicants. For now, the service in the field of music-related education is referred to as X.
Fields of research 1: web-based companies in the field of music-related education
The candidate shall research the chinese online-market for current companies that offer service in or related to X.
- What companies exist in said field (website, business location, traffic, markets)?
- What are these companies doing (product and/or service description and pricing)?
- What is the reach of these companies (regional, whole China, international)?
- For selected companies offering X: what market share do they hold?
- What are their target customers / market segments?
- How well do they use SEO?
- Level of awareness of this service in China (Presence in social media, important connections, association with celebrities)
- Marketing approaches (marketing channels, sales channels, delivery channels…)
Fields of research 2: customers and market segements
The candidate shall research the consumer market for this kind of service in order to determine demand.
- Demographics in China (income, (development with) age, regional distribution, access to internet, change of these factors over time, anticipated development over the next 10 to 20 years)
- Persona(s) of customers that represent (segments of) the target market (demographics (income, age), share, development, behaviors, needs, ...)
- How do people learn X (by demographics)? Is there a shift?
- Motivation, expectation, goals, associations related to learning X?
- What are currently the costs for learning X?
- What is the role of online media in learning (in general, and to play an instrument) in China?
- How do Chinese social interaction while learning?
- Research blogs, forums, and groups on Chinese social media
FORM OF DELIVERABLES
- Content is more important than presentation
- Information and sources need to be transparent as possible, sources need to be cited/provided
- Information shall be provided as working documents, i.e. Excel, Word, PowerPoint, or OpenDocument equivalents
- Information has to be clearly structured and readable, neatness and fancy designs are not necessary
- The candidate frequently (after ~3 hours of work) provides short status updates so that we can dynamically adjust focus if needed and don’t waste time and effort
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- Mainland Chinese, native reader and Mandarin/Cantonese speaker
- Proficient in English
- Strong communication skills, and comfortable speaking on Skype
- Structured and concise presentation of information
- Previous experience with market research (Please provide some example in you application)
- Self-motivated and pro-active attitude, i.e. checking in with us in case of questions, suggesting further helpful directions of research, etc.
- To distinguish himself/herself from the spammers, the ideal candidate writes “I am the one” in HanZi as the first line of your bid. We will delete all bids that do not start with this phrase, since most bidders never read the requirements. Thank you for being one who does.
- Please provide us a short overview of your experience with musical education, e.g. learn to sing, learn to compose songs, learn to play an instrument, etc.