PLEASE LOOK AT THE ATTACHMENT WHICH HAS A SAMPLE PHOTO.
The job is to go to a Shaw's or Star Market supermarket and take a photo of the butter and margarine section, and send it to us. You can take your photo while you are doing your regular shopping – no need to make a special trip. Pay is $20 PER STORE.
The job is to go to a Shaw's/Star supermarket and take a photo of the butter and margarine section, and send it to us.
The butter and margarine section is part of the refrigerated dairy section, and will consist of one or more four foot “sections” of refrigerated space. In a small supermarket it might be just four feet wide. In a larger supermarket, it might be 8 or 12 feet wide, or wider. In a very small supermarket the butter and margarine might only occupy part of a four foot section – it might share space with some cheese, yoghurt or cookie dough. Your job is to take a photo from directly in front of the section which captures all visible product and all visible prices. The photo should be taken on an iPhone or other handheld device or cell phone. You should not go into a supermarket with a DSLR, tripod, or other big or conspicuous equipment which draws attention to yourself. If the butter and margarine section is too wide to be able to be able to get everything into one photo, then you may take 2 or more photos in order to get everything in. However, this makes it more difficult for us because those photos never line up perfectly. IF AT ALL POSSIBLE PLEASE TRY TO GET EVERYTHING INTO ONE PHOTO.
The only criteria for fulfilling this job are that (a) you have to take a picture of the correct category – no points for taking a picture of the Cereal aisle or the Yoghurt sections- we’re only interested in butter and margarine, and (b) the photo must be clear enough so that we can clearly see the prices of all products in the photo. If you take the picture on an iPhone and send it at maximum size, e.g. without reduction, and you managed not to jiggle when taking the picture, then it’s a slam dunk. However if you move when taking the picture, or you send a reduced file size – then the prices will not be visible.
You should check the photo yourself after you take it– just zoom into the photo to see if you can read the prices. If you can, you’re done. If you can’t, please do over.
Some helpful tips to avoid headaches for all concerned:
• Do turn off the “click” sound and the flash on your cell phone. No need to draw attention to yourself.
• Do pay attention to the top and bottom shelves so that they are both included. We have received some photos where the prices on the top shelf were visible but the product itself was partially or entirely left out of the picture. Similarly, sometimes one edge is cut off – We’d rather see some of the next category over than have a little of the edge of the butter/margarine category chopped out of the picture.
Don’t Do This
• Don’t take a picture of sections of the supermarket other than the butter and margarine part of the dairy section. We don’t want milk. We don’t want yoghurt. We don’t want orange juice. Just butter and margarine.
• Don’t have any people in your photo. They’ll get mad at you, and they’ll also block our view of seeing product on shelf. Seriously, just be patient and wait a minute until nobody is shopping the butter section.
• Don’t be conspicuous to supermarket staff when you are doing this. Different supermarkets take different views of people taking pictures in their stores. This job should take you all of about thirty seconds - just be stealth. Even if the stockboy is stocking the shelf, just wait a second until he turns around and then snap your pic.
• Don’t take the photo on an angle, because particularly with the wide angle lenses on cell phones these days, that’ll make the closer products look about five times larger than the more distant products, and the prices on the latter will be hard to read.
Which stores? We are PARTICULARLY interested in the following stores - all in MA (addresses listed):
535 Trapelo Road, Belmont
71 Dodge Street, Beverly
125 Pearl Street, Braintree
370 Western Ave, Brighton
641 Belmont St, Brockton
699 Mt. Auburn St, Cambridge
95 Washington St, Cobbs Corner, Canton
739 Chief Justice Cushing, Cohasset
795 Providence Highway, Dedham
7 Railroad Ave, Gloucester
127 Eastern Ave, Gloucester
43 State Street, Lynn
34 Essex Street, Medway
210 Andover Street, Peabody
130 Granite Street, Quincy
300 New State Highway, Raynham
1070 Lexington Street, Waltham
690 Depot Street, N. Easton
180 A Cambridge St., Burlington
715 Cresent St. Brockton
1377 Hyde Park Ave.. Hyde Park
130 River St., Waltham
390 West St., Mansfield
780 South Main, Sharon
How to submit your work
Send your photo(s) back via Upwork along with the following information:
• Name of Store
• Address of Store
• Date photo was taken
• Time photo taken