I'm making a 2D puzzle platformer prototype for a game design and development course I'm completing online and need artwork and animation assets for the two main characters (Platypus and Turtle).
The game is called Platypuzzler - it's about a platypus who you have to help find his way home while solving puzzles and without being able to control him directly. The version we're making at the moment is a single-level timed demo to test and show the basic mechanics.
I've attached the game design doc which has lots of information about the game.
Here's what I need from you:
- Concept art for Platypus and Turtle characters that matches the visual language we're targeting (we'll agree on a version to take into production)
- Spritesheet for Platypus' animation states (swim, idle, float, somersault, dive, feed, sleep)
- Spritesheet for Turtle's animation states (swim, idle, dive, retreat into shell, pop out of shell)
There is another designer working on background art. It would be great if you could discuss with them how to harmonise styles (we have a Slack set up for the game). There are also some level objects that need visual assets - either you or the other designer could do these, depending on discussions. If you end up doing them this will be outside the scope of this job and we can discuss separate payment.
Game experience is highly desirable. Most of us working on this have not made a game before and are learning as we go (that's the point of it being a student project!) But someone who is familiar with the process and able to provide insight and guidance on the direction and implication of our choices would obviously be a big help! We have this with our developer, but could use extra assistance on the design side.
Timing is pretty tight. I need to ship the thing by the end of the year, which means I need to get the artwork and assets to the developer in a few weeks time.
Ultimately, the successful applicant will:
- Be able to deliver high-quality work in an appropriate style
- Understand what we're trying to achieve with the game
- Have 2D game design experience
- Communicate well, discuss ideas and anticipate and solve problems
- Work to a fairly tight schedule
Rate/contract is negotiable - I value quality, communication and reliable execution most of all. If you're interested, have a look through the doc and send me a one/two paragraph pitch and include a couple of samples or a link to your portfolio. Feel free to ask me any questions about the job or the project.
Many thanks for your time and interest - I appreciate the effort involved in applying for work and I will reply to all applicants regardless of who we end up going with. Hope to work with you soon!
Danu Poyner, Australia