Research on the presence of specific conditions within the countries of the Middle East/Northern Africa over the past 100 years.
I'll be seeking historical information from each country in the Middle East/Northern Africa region. Samples of items I'll be looking for are:
· Top down rapid injection of modernization (such as in Turkey and Iran in 1920's/1930's.)
· Strong repression of salafi/puritan groups (such as in Egypt in 1930's)
· High level of authoritarian government (monarchy, dictatorship)
· High level of poverty in the country
· Early adoption of modernization/secularization (before 1940)
· Rentier status
· Foreign intervention
This does not encompass all but is a sample. I'll need this information for each country requiring some historical research.
Research assistants living in their native country will be helpful.
Research may require access to a local university library. Please let me know if you already have this access.
I will need assistance with the following countries:
5 Saudi Arabia
If you have friends in one of the these countries that might be interested in working on this, please have them contact me.
Best regards, Andrew