Hello, a client wants a possible book cover for a new novel. We sketched a basic idea based on her ideas to provide a basic guideline. However, we encourage the artist to put their own touches. Below are the details.
The illustration should be as follows:
1. The two characters are a young high school girl and a coyote. Their poses can be similar to what's on this image.
2. The high school girl is a Latina with glasses and straight brown hair and light brown skin. She is on a school stage about to perform. Her guitar is red. She is wearing a black Iron Maiden t-shirt, a blue jean skirt, white slouch socks, and green Keds. The girl should look a little nervous because she's about to perform onstage, but also because the coyote is grinning at her and she's wondering why. The story is set in 1988, so she should appear like someone dressed like an 80s high school student.
3. The coyote in the novel talks and is very mischievous. The coyote should be just sitting there looking up at her. He is wearing a suit and/or tie and grinning like he's planning something mischievous. He is not an evil character, but he is definitely plotting friendly mischief throughout the story and the author wants the expression to show this. We tried sketching it to the best of our ability (for example, the big, toothy, mischievous grin) but we look for an artist's interpretation.
4. The coyote is actually an Aztec god. If you want to include some kind of Aztec element to his design, please do so. But he is a god living in modern times, which is why he should be wearing a suit or at least a tie.
4. The novel has to do with time travel, so the background can include some time-travel element, like a clock or a calendar. The artist can offer their vision.
5. We need the file in Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop to make adjustments as necessary. We would appreciate if each element (character, background) were a separate layer.
We appreciate your interest and are looking for someone who has good sense of humor and design for this project. Our client had originally asked for something cartoony, but now feels she needs to be open to different interpretations. Her novel is for all audiences but wants the cover to relay the fun dynamic between the young girl and mischievous coyote/Aztec god.