We are a law firm that makes hard use of technology to work as a distributed team. We are re-evaluating all of our technological systems in an attempt to systematize, automate, and integrate as many of our processes as possible. The law firm’s staff and consultants work as a distributed team and require software that can run on multiple platforms and be accessed over the Internet.
One of the first steps will be to make a model of our existing data, and of data that we are not currently storing but would like to store. The goal is for this data model to be used to implement our data in all of our systems.
I would like the data model to be technology-independent so that we can use it to implement our data consistently across any and all systems. We may be replacing several of our technology systems, so it is important for the data model not to be tied to any particular system.
We are a small firm (fewer than 10 full-time equivalent employees) and are not using any of the kinds of large ERP-type systems you would find at a larger company. Currently we are using a mix of the following:
* SalesForce for customer intake and general CRM;
* QuickBooks (hosted online) and Bill.com for accounting and billing;
* FoundationIP (a cloud-based database) as our primary database for legal projects for our clients;
* Microsoft Outlook for email and calendars;
* DocuSign for contracts.
* A combination of DropBox, SalesForce, and FoundationIP for file storage
I was a software developer in a former life and have a general understanding of how to think about data. I will be the primary point of contact.
Responsibilities are to:
• Work with law firm founder and staff to obtain information about where and how data are currently being stored, and about additional data that we would like to store.
• Think independently and proactively about how to better model and organize this data.
• Create a detailed, technology-independent data model for modeling all of the firm's key data. Preferably this would be done using a tool such as ERWin, but this is negotiable.
The resulting data model should be useful for implementing our data in any and all of our technology systems.
• Substantial experience doing technology-independent data architecting.
• Specific experience with ERWin or other data modeling tools a plus.
• Working with clients to understand their existing data and needs for additional data.
• Any financial or other arrangement (such as with a particular database vendor) which might compromise your independence must be disclosed.
Skills and Work Style:
• Capable of working remotely and independently with minimal supervision.
• Excellent time management skills and ability to meet milestones and deadlines.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Attention to detail.
• Able to constructively challenge assumptions to improve the overall quality of the solution.
• 40-50 hours per week.
• Start date: approximately October 27 , 2016
• Otherwise, all work to be performed remotely; exact time at which work is performed during the week is very flexible.
• Project is expected to last 4-6 weeks.
• Hourly rate to be determined based on experience.