We are seeking a strong DB programmer to implement a data abstraction layer for a PHP web app. You will build and maintain primary database as well as any ancillary databases needed for support and maintenance of the site. You will ultimately have the last word on DB and API design but will be expected to work collaboratively with web development staff to insure the greatest possible performance while maintaining data integrity. You are structured and organized but also pragmatic enough to come up with creative solutions to complex problems. You are also willing to learn on the job and keep up with changes in technology, both in your area of expertise and in the web world. If this describes you and you are enthusiastic about having a major impact on an exciting new project then apply now.
• Collaborate with team to determine and deploy database solutions to business-prioritized requirements, including business continuance and information security along with functional requirements.
• Install, configure, and test new PostgreSQL databases, perform version upgrades of existing databases.
• Install, upgrade and maintain all PostgreSQL-related server and administration software.
• Design and implement DB abstraction layer for data operations using best practices to implement business logic.
• Design and implement parameterized query engine for searching and filtering using dynamic criteria.
• Perform DB profiling and optimization; analyze and propose schema changes to PostgreSQL databases as needed.
• Proactively monitor activity, utilization, exceptions and database health; propose and deploy appropriate improvements; automate repetitive tasks.
• 5+ years of DB development, preferably with PostgreSQL.
• 2+ years of experience with ETL processes.
• Familiarity with dynamic SQL and programmatic SQL administration.
• String parsing and processing experience using regular expressions, SQL or other programming language.
• Ability to work as part of a team or as an individual based on project needs.
• Experience programming with a procedural language (C/C++/C#/Java/Python/Perl/etc.) strongly desired.
• Web development experience a plus.
• GIS experience a strong plus, especially with PostGIS.
• Familiarity with DB sharding a strong plus.
• Comfortable with optimizing code.