Occasionally I need to move some email accounts to a new host. As part of this, my client wants the contents of their inbox (and other folders) copied from their old host, then restored into their new account at the new host.
As a general rule, the only access I have to host accounts are
- the account name (example: email@example.com)
- the password to that account
- whatever email server information I can find from the DNS records on who.is
NOTE: as you can see, you don't get server access. You only get user access.
As for the NEW host, we have cpanel/FTP access to there for uploading the contents of each email account.
The objective is to provide a user experience where one day they log into emails (probably a webmail page) at their old server. The next day they login and their inbox looks the same although they're using our new email server. This means
1. contents of inbox copied over
2. sent items and other sub-folders are all restored in the same way they were in the old email account
3. read/unread flags are retained in the move too (if possible)
I would setup the new accounts on the new server and I have control of the DNS records of the domain. I imagine this being a co-operative process of moving each account/domain over.
I usually have 2-3 accounts for a single domain at a time to move. Please bid for this job on the basis of migrating 6x email accounts. Then we'll complete a few of them at a time over the coming month of so. If it all goes smoothly I will use you for this type of work on an ongoing basis.
In your bid, please include your proposed process, as well as any questions you have. I need to feel confident in your ability to do this process for me to award the job.