We are building a next-generation WordPress hosting service using exciting technologies including nginx, node.js, CoffeeScript, New Relic, Amazon AWS, and more. Come join us!
DO NOT include a cover letter. ONLY answer the screening questions. You can showcase or sell yourself after the initial screening.
Complete the coding test here & submit it WITH the job application: https://github.com/esimplicity/node-mysql-test
DO NOT try to contact me outside of Upwork. Apply to the job, and we will start a conversation through the Upwork messaging service.
If you complete the test successfully, you will get an interview.
If you communicate well & impress me with your problem solving knowledge during the interview, I GUARANTEE you will be offered the job or a similar one.
I will initially hire you with a 5-hour weekly limit. If all goes well after the first 5 hours, then I will increase the weekly limit, and we will continue with this job until complete. After the initial job, I may hire you for another specific job here, or for a more general, long-term contract.
Make sure you have read & know the job description by the time we start our messenger conversation. I will ask you to:
* tell me what interests you most about the job
* provide a detailed, formatted, clean outline of how you would solve the problem
I am NOT looking for free problem solving here. Every job that I post I have already thought through the solution myself & outlined it in my head at a minimum. I want to see your thought process, your communication skills, how well you present your ideas, and if you have fresh ideas that I have not considered. In addition, this is the process we aim follow for all of our work: quick but detailed technical implementation outlines first.
I am interested in your previous work, but I want to know how well you will solve MY problem. I NEED WORK DONE - and the person with the understanding and ideas is the best person to do it.
For this job, we want to let a user import an existing WordPress site to their hosting account, by providing ONLY the following:
* Site URL
* WP Admin credentials: username + password
Your job will be to:
* add the user interface (UI) elements to the admin interface
* implement the node.js code (written in IcedCoffeeScript) to access the remote WordPress site
* develop install any PHP code needed to perform the export
* export the files & database
* restore the site locally
* update the site so that it works in the new environment
ABOUT YOU, ABOUT US
Who are we looking for? You should:
* Be experienced & comfortable working with the technologies outlined
* Love to capture & share links & research
* Communicate frequently (we use Slack)
* Love Markdown & nice formatting
* Enjoy exploring web apps completely in browser to learn how they work
* Automatically dig into code base and figure out how things work on own
* Have a tolerance for non-perfect code. You understand that projects have history, need to get things shipped, are constantly improving.
* Be focused on shipping good, reliable code while knowing what to put off for later
* Not afraid to rewrite code from scratch, even without tests
* Enjoy & be experienced with automated testing, but be OK with writing code without tests
* Be available to work 30 - 50 hours per week
You will be working with:
* Smart, experienced developers with a wide range of experience
- No non-technical project managers - only experienced software engineers like yourself
- Excellent communication & collaboration tools are a must
* TaskBump: https://taskbump.com/
- A tool we built. Like Trello, or JIRA, but we like it better.
* Twitter Bootstrap 3
* node.js (still on v0.10, for now)
* WordPress (obviously!)
* Jade, Stylus, Express 3
This is just one of many jobs available using this technology stack! We are looking for LONG-TERM team members, to work FULL-TIME on this project and others. The ideal candidate will be looking for a team that they can join, grow with, and help to succeed.